Rear deck sunshade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear deck sunshade

I'd like to gauge the interest in rear deck sunshades.
    I made one for an e28 which turned out pretty nice and I'm currently working on ones for the e30.
    I have two decks, one with the 3rd brake light hump, and one without.
    Units will be $125 shipped to the lower 48.
    It will include the deck, shade and hooks to hold the shade in the open position.
    The shade that I will be using is black and has a very nice trim ring that will provide an authentic look.
    I hope to have pictures up by Sunday.

Below is the one I made for my e28, the e30 units will look similar.

Last edited by grey ghost; 12-16-2011, 02:21 PM.

88 545is, k27 Turbo, TCD Turbo Chip, 30lbs Injectors, b35 cam, Aftermarket Intercooler, Custom 3" to Dual 2.5" Exhaust, HRs/Sports, BBK, SS Lines, 18" Staggered Alpinas, 235/40-265/35 Falkens, S2.93.

Looking forward to better pictures. Possible to get one inside the car?

Also, can we get them without the rear deck? Just the assemblies that is.

Comment

I'd definitely be interested if it looks factory and the shade follows the vertical lines of the glass. agreed that pics installed inside the car would be great!

Would you also be making them for the premium speaker and 3rd brake light hump?
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by amok View Post
        Looking forward to better pictures. Possible to get one inside the car?

Also, can we get them without the rear deck? Just the assemblies that is.
        That may be possible as I have more shades than decks at the moment.

Originally posted by Ceeker View Post
        I'd definitely be interested if it looks factory and the shade follows the vertical lines of the glass. agreed that pics installed inside the car would be great!

Would you also be making them for the premium speaker and 3rd brake light hump?
        At the moment I have the two decks picture with me. I do have a 3rd that takes the premium speakers but am unsure whether or not it has a 3rd brake light hump. Also, I think these will be finished in black. I may dye them or use fabric paint, not sure yet.

88 545is, k27 Turbo, TCD Turbo Chip, 30lbs Injectors, b35 cam, Aftermarket Intercooler, Custom 3" to Dual 2.5" Exhaust, HRs/Sports, BBK, SS Lines, 18" Staggered Alpinas, 235/40-265/35 Falkens, S2.93.

Comment

I have some hooks that I plan on modiying. They will require one hole to be drilled. It is a metal "U" shaped hook with a rubber sleeve that will hide the screw once installed.
          I hope to have my friend's e30 in the next few days so I can test fit and then start the cutting. As we all know, measure twice, cut once, but I'll be measuring a dozen times and then cutting.
          In addition, I may need to step up the area were the shade mounts to the deck.
          If that is the case, and I do decide to go with a kit, I'll include the step-up material and detailed instructions.
          And I will be available via phone, board, text and any other method if you need me.

Comment

I think the flush mount would look much nicer. If the shade follows the diagonal vertical lines of the window then that would be awesome. But I have seen shades come up vertical leaving the sides open which looked unfitting to be polite. :-)
            sigpic

Comment

If I set the unit up, the setup material will go under the deck cloth. It comes off easy and wouldn't be noticeable.
              The factory unit is stepped up.

Comment

I'd be interested even if it doesn't cover the glass 100% or is stepped up or not. I love these sunshades, really a nice touch and bulk blocking of the sun would be great. I don't see how it could follow the diagonal lines of the glass unless it was a certain length with tapered material. The shape of the glass makes it tough... and it looks like you've already got your shades ready. How do the hooks mount? Sub'd

Comment

Just a little something to show my work.
                  This is the e28 deck I put together.
                  I installed it to take a few shots..

Comment

Here's a few pictures of the shade mounted. I've not yet reglued the fabric to the board, but its fits rather nicely.
                    There is still a bit of fine tuning to be done.....
                    Once I pulled the fabric off, I saw that there are perforations for the premium speakers to be cut in.

Comment

this is great! could we see a shoot of the hooks? and how they are mounted.

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by 325ix89 View Post
                        this is great! could we see a shoot of the hooks? and how they are mounted.

thanks
                        I haven't gotten that far.
                        I'm trying to find a hook that will slip under the rear window rubber seal, to avoid having to go thru the headliner.
                        If not, I'll have to go with the oem unit that requires one screw thru the headliner.
                        I made a custom hook for my e28 and it works great, but there are guys out there that are OEM crazy and I'd like to make everyone happy.

Comment

I'd definitely be interested but want to see how these turn out. I had one of these in a former e30 and it was great. I've been looking for the real deal but having trouble finding it, could definitely be convinced to go this route.

Comment

Here are the hooks and bracket. Its OEM and look nice. It will raise the price a little, $10 at the most.

Comment

interested as well looks dope so far

Comment

Working...
                              X