ISO: Shortened E34 Oil Pan for S50 Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ISO: Shortened E34 Oil Pan for S50 Swap

Just tossing a line out there to see if anyone has a shortened E34 pan for sale. I've had trouble finding a place to do them (evidently the casting quality is abysmal).

Anyway, if you have one for sale, could make one if I send you a pan, OR happen to know a place near Seattle that can shorten them, PM me on here or shoot me a text: 971-269-8750

Thanks!

Chris

shortened?
    1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Originally posted by wworm View Post
      shortened?
      If you're aware, m20/m50/m42 front sump oil pans hang rather low and can easily be cracked and broken if they hit anything with enough force, especially on lowered vehicles. Some people have cut the front sump, removed some amount of vertical length, cut and removed length from the oil pump pickup tube, and re-weld a sump back in place. Therefore it doesn't hang as low. I believe this is what OP is referencing, correct me if I'm wrong. A simpler solution is to install a skid plate to protect the oil pan. I ran a skidplate-less M50 swap with a stock E34 oil pan on a rather low E30 back in the day, and I drove carefully enough to never have a problem. Although the thought of something hitting and busting open my oil pan was always in the back of my mind... Good times! :razz:

edit: You also have to shorten the oil dipstick and dipstick tube.
      Last edited by plmichal; 06-09-2018, 03:40 PM.
      1990 325is Brilliantrot/Natur

Comment

Originally posted by plmichal View Post
        If you're aware, m20/m50/m42 front sump oil pans hang rather low and can easily be cracked and broken if they hit anything with enough force, especially on lowered vehicles. Some people have cut the front sump, removed some amount of vertical length, cut and removed length from the oil pump pickup tube, and re-weld a sump back in place. Therefore it doesn't hang as low. I believe this is what OP is referencing, correct me if I'm wrong. A simpler solution is to install a skid plate to protect the oil pan. I ran a skidplate-less M50 swap with a stock E34 oil pan on a rather low E30 back in the day, and I drove carefully enough to never have a problem. Although the thought of something hitting and busting open my oil pan was always in the back of my mind... Good times! :razz:

edit: You also have to shorten the oil dipstick and dipstick tube.
        Right you are, yeah I live right by downtown Seattle, the roads are horrific around here. Broke my oilpan for the 2nd time through the skid plate becuase of a giant hole in the road

Comment

Ahh. What’s the usual shortening length?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Working...
          X