X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

very interested!
    might be buying a rack soon!

Comment

I just deleted my PS by pulling off the hoses, draining them (with turning the wheel lock to lock, to get out final bits of ATF), and cutting the PS pump v-belt.

I've got 205R14 65s in the front of my '87 325-2 (that's the base, base model eta coupe). The steering still seems a bit tight. Do I need to somehow suck all of the fluid out? I've read that the steering rack itself is greased for life and separate, so I'm a little confused as to why this is needed. I imagine it would be good to prevent corrosion, but is there another use? Should I have actually filled it with fluid or oil?

But anyways, without P/S it feels AWESOME. Once I'm moving, steering isn't so bad (even when I'm stopped, it's mostly usable). The steering response is instant and it's like the wheel tells you not to do stupid things by increasing resistance to awkward maneuvers :-). It's lighter than power steering at speed, unless you're doing something stupid. I actually think this might keep me out of a wreck some day. I was so surprised to feel variability from the steering wheel that I was confused that turning it between slightly off center to full lock was harder.

It makes the driving experience in the E30 even more fun (mind you, it's my DD). I do think that some 195R14 65s or smaller tires all around would help make it a bit easier, but it really isn't that bad (I still get the feeling that it's tighter than it should be, though I've only done one drive to help get out the fluid).

What do you guys think?

Thanks,
      Teran

PS: Is it possible to install the block without taking out a good bit of the engine?

Comment

to install the block? You mean the plate? I didn't have to take anything apart...I could reach everything fine from under the car.

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

Thanks, GearheadE30. That's good to know. I was removing the system from up top at night and couldn't reach the bolts for the high pressure lines. I should just get some ramps for it and go underneath.

The power steering block seems like a great idea and looks to be perfectly built. However, I've heard conflicting reports saying that it may not be needed at all if you use a dry rack.

For instance;

Fighting against broken PAS is MUCH harder than completely removing the PAS.

With e30's and manual steering, you don't need any oil, the rack is greased as standard and the PAS fluid that normally flows around the outside in a seperate chamber just isn't there anymore so no resistance

My e30, bearing in mind it's the quicker ratio e36 rack (therefore mechanically stiffer to turn) converted to PAS, is fine at low speeds and driving around town, even with my increased caster treehouse bushes, which would make it EVEN STIFFER, it's still fine. Far from "light" but definately manageable even for girls who have driven my car.

Main benefits for what I run are:

less weight from PAS system
          less engine bay complexity
          quicker steering makes drifting easier
          a LOT more steering "feel" - best mod for that was treehouse bushes, can feel exactly what the front tyres are doing.
          quicker and more positive self-centring which is very important for drifting
          From this post.

As well as:

This is no big deal. See, most BMW technicians have no experience with this sort of thing -- only track junkies, race teams, and inveterate cheapskates want to delete E30 power steering. In terms of the first two, it makes good sense on the track because you can eliminate one possible operating fluid leak, some underhood clutter, about 10 pounds of useless (on the track) weight, and free up a small amount of parasitic power that previously went to spinning the power steering pump (a very small amount). As for the inveterate cheapskates, trust me -- you can't tell them anything anyway. However this is one case where the cheapskates aren't shooting themselves in the foot.

All you need to do is remove all the power steering parts. Once the hydraulic lines are disconnected you can work the steering back and forth lock-to-lock to expel the old ATF from the rack. Or you can plug the rack -- the little plastic plugs that come in new racks work fine, with a bit of silicone sealer. You have to clean the threaded apertures for the sealer to bite, though.

The power steering rack is lubricated internally, separate from the power steering fluid hydraulic assist mechanism. Eliminating the power steering system WILL NOT cause the power steering rack to wear out any faster than it would normally.

Nevertheless I think it's important to recognize that your rack is probably pretty worn at 200,000 miles. Wear is indicated by on-center play. There is no doubt that the clean way to do this job is to install the E30 manual steering rack. It's not hard to get -- it's just hard to get cheaply. The only source is BMW, part number 32 11 1 130 169. There may not be a core charge nowadays, since the cars are so mature. Last time I did it there was a core charge and BMW would not accept a power steering rack so I had to pay the charge.

Best regards,

Mike Miller
          BMW CCA Roundel Magazine Technical Editor
          From this page, a ways down.

It seems like from those posts that it would be completely fine to run the rack with a totally open power steering system in an attempt to run it bone dry (in the PS section, as the steering itself is greased separately). I'm not positive if that may be rust prone or just not the way to go, but Mike Miller's reference seemed very convincing.

Anyways, let me know what you think. I'm not sure if this has been brought up much before or not.

Thanks,
          Teran

Comment

I have a few deletes left in this last batch.

Comment

Any more left?

Comment

hey guys just to let you know my rack is leak free my car hasnt been driven in a few months and i checked my ps delete and i was surprised, not a drop has leaked since i put it on. this by far is one of the best things i have done. silence great stuff, still have to put the diff bushing in. thanks again.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gt5racer View Post
                  Any more left?
                  Yes, I just finished a new batch, send payment, and i'll ship asap.

Originally posted by e30euro View Post
                  hey guys just to let you know my rack is leak free my car hasnt been driven in a few months and i checked my ps delete and i was surprised, not a drop has leaked since i put it on. this by far is one of the best things i have done. silence great stuff, still have to put the diff bushing in. thanks again.
                  Thanks for the great review!

Comment

Im going to need to pick up one.. when i have money..
                    Winner winner chicken dinner?

My Seller Feedback Thread

Comment

$$ sent

Comment

Thanks, will ship asap.

Comment

I have about 50 deletes in stock!

Comment

I have these ready to ship,

Comment

Shipped a couple deletes today

Comment

Took pics for a HOW-to-install ill be posting soon.

Comment

Working...
                                X