WTB trailer hitch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WTB trailer hitch

For a 1991 318i. What do you have that fills the bill for me?
    Thanks, Tom

HTH,
    Chris
    Below the radar...

Comment

Ive been thinking about trying to find a removable and obviously good looking hitch as well, but that one seems a little wimpy. 400 lbs??? sheet. For what I want to do I'd be at that or just under, if not a little more. What I need it for is towing a small trailer with my gokart on the back with some supplies like a medium size toolbox, stand, and things like that. The kart itself weighs like 180 too...

Are there any other options that are easy to locate short of scouring ebay for some pos? ;p

Comment

With a little more research I came across these--
        More utlility-ish but dont look bad, imo. As long as it actually get used enough and the reciever doesnt look like shit because its not functional, just an eyesore.

Definately not as showy as that one either but it can handle a helluvalot more weight if you wanted to pull anything more than tires. I might be getting that one.

Oh and on edit - would anybody know if anything is different between the early and late model hitches besides being able to clear the bottom of the bumpers? I may be doing the plastic bumper conversion pretty soon and dont really want the bumpers or hitch to interfere with eachother. Would that mean I should get the late model one? :/

Comment

The early and late cars definitely use different hitches. I don't know if a late style hitch would fit properly on an early car with late bumper.....

Might want to do a Google search for "da'lan" hitches- they make hitches for most any european car, they make the hitches U-Haul sells under their brand for BMW's (and others). Most, if not all, of the hitches I've seen for small bumper E30's are fixed ball mount- they do not seem to make the receiver type that has a removeable ball mount. The fixed ball type are sort of a PITA cause it's easy to knock the shit out of your shins on the arm that sticks out. Most of the early type hitches seem to mount part of the hitch to the bumper- which IMHO is a good thing.....

I can make you a custom hitch for the early cars for ~$125 or so. I made one for my car about 7-8 years ago, and it's still going strong. I used it to haul a small utility trailer with 4 track wheels + tires on it, plus a big plastic box with track supplies, tools, spare parts, etc. I modeled it after the Da'lan receiver style hitch (diagrams available on their website)

Bret.

Comment

If you are looking to buy new... try these guys: Hitchsource.com <whitemank@hitchsource.com They quoted me a better price if you want to save a quarter or so. AS for me, I'm looking for a used hitch. Not a real high wear item, and I'm thrrrrifty! I like the hidey hitch, but not even $350 worth, and not with that load capacity. I flog my ponies.

<http://www.big-boys.com/articles/toomuchweight.html>

>
            Originally posted by Justin B
            With a little more research I came across these--
            More utlility-ish but dont look bad, imo. As long as it actually get used enough and the reciever doesnt look like shit because its not functional, just an eyesore.

Definately not as showy as that one either but it can handle a helluvalot more weight if you wanted to pull anything more than tires. I might be getting that one.

Oh and on edit - would anybody know if anything is different between the early and late model hitches besides being able to clear the bottom of the bumpers? I may be doing the plastic bumper conversion pretty soon and dont really want the bumpers or hitch to interfere with eachother. Would that mean I should get the late model one? :/

Comment

I have one I pulled from an 87 325is, small class one type receiver hitch. Not sure if it will work on a 91 318is but I have a 318is I can test fit it on if you're interested.

Comment

Originally posted by ProBimmer
                I have one I pulled from an 87 325is, small class one type receiver hitch. Not sure if it will work on a 91 318is but I have a 318is I can test fit it on if you're interested.
                I am interested - but really doubt that it will fit - as noted by above poster - Bigrig? - the early hitches bolt to the bumper and can be receiver hitches, the late don't and can't be. At least going by Da'Lan's product line and pictures. A shame, because I really like getting the knee-barker out of the way and don't like always showing a hitch.
                Tom

Comment

Working...
                X