E30 Cassette Radio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 Cassette Radio

Hey, looking for an original E30 or E28 cassette radio. Must look good and radio part / display work - cassette part I could care less about. I'd prefer one without the fader knob but can use that one possibly. I may go down the e36 radio later but right now I really want an original one that I can slap in the dash with no modifications.

Thanks!
    Thank god, R3V was getting boring since the ginger kid wrecked his car. - Stonea

I have a working non premium sound head unit if you're interested.
    ~Stay Thirsty~

Comment

Originally posted by Mwishlist View Post
      Hey, looking for an original E30 or E28 cassette radio. Must look good and radio part / display work - cassette part I could care less about. I'd prefer one without the fader knob but can use that one possibly. I may go down the e36 radio later but right now I really want an original one that I can slap in the dash with no modifications.
      Thanks!
      Does your car have the factory premium sound (with the amp next to the antenna motor and the bigger rear speakers)?

I think some of the E30 radios won't work unless the car came with the premium sound package. I tried my 88 is premium radio cassette (with separate bass and treble slide levers) in a regular non-premium 89 325i and it wouldn't put out any sound, so it apparently needs to be used with the amp that comes on the premium cars. It works fine in my 88 is.

Just sumthin to look into before plunking money down on a factory radio that may not work in your particular car.
      Randy Walters

2021 Mazda 3 Sedan Premium AWD
      1988 325is (w/89 bumpers, recently sold)
      1989 325is (Broadsided long ago RIP)
      1996 328is (Sold to Matt J)
      2003 530i Sport (Spare car now)
      2005 X3 (little woman's car)
      Driving Instructor BMW CCA L.A. & S.D. Chapters
      Multiple L.A. & S.D. Region SCCA Autocross Championships

Comment

Thanks for the info Randy, I'm not using the factory amp or wiring, as it's been butchered, I plan on running it into an Lci8 and them an aftermarket amp, so I don't think it's a problem as long as the radio has speaker outputs for front and rear. My car is a vert with separate tweeters and an amp in the trunk.

Benjamin, I'm still not too familiar with the radios, can you post a pic of the front if yours? Does it have a fader built in or do it use the separate fader?
        Last edited by Mwishlist; 07-25-2014, 07:20 AM.
        Thank god, R3V was getting boring since the ginger kid wrecked his car. - Stonea

Comment

E28s & E30s used a fader switch mounted near the head unit - not internal.
          I have examples from each series, and can get you pix this weekend if you haven't already found one.

Comment

^ That's not necessarily the case across the board for E30s. Late(r) PS cars with the IR "pyramid" radio did not have a dash fader.
            Originally posted by kronus
            would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Originally posted by agent View Post
              Late(r) PS cars with the IR "pyramid" radio did not have a dash fader.
              Correct - thanks for the clarification.

Comment

Working...
              X