No announcement yet.

German Engineering Suspension GB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here are a couple pics. Hopefully I can get this solved fast, I am missing races now!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1338750210.740852.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	7143640Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1338750262.861943.jpg
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	7143641Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1338750280.744084.jpg
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	7143642Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1338750299.024185.jpg
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	7143643
    1988 325 auto-x car
    1989 325ix winter car
    1991 525i summer car

Comment

Originally posted by dave.a.cote View Post
      PNWDan, your explanation seems to make the most sense of any that I have read. Basically you are saying the best you can do is put the spring forces through the thrust bearings and the strut forces have to go through the spherical bearing unless the system is redesigned, right?
      Yes

On my car, I am running Koni SA's and I am trying to install these coil overs with the IE race plates. The ID of the thrust bearing and the upper spring hat that is significantly larger than the OD of the strut shaft on my setup. I shouldn't have the problem of the top hat not seating square on the backing plate but I am worried about the thrust bearing shifting out of place when the suspension is unloaded. Do you have any recommendation on how I can stop that?
      The only thing I can think of right off the top of my head is making some sort of cup to go over the Koni's smaller shaft with a through hole for the threaded end to pass through and effectively increase the diameter of the shaft to keep the hat located on center.

1987 Alpinweiß 325is

Like the PNW E30 Local Crew Facebook page

Comment

Easy fix on the binding., I get it from time to time. I use silicone spray on the sleeves and the camber plates.
        This happens with all the coilover brands, it's not just the GEs.
        @IRON-E30 aka Edwin:D

Comment

Originally posted by PNWDan View Post
          Yes

The only thing I can think of right off the top of my head is making some sort of cup to go over the Koni's smaller shaft with a through hole for the threaded end to pass through and effectively increase the diameter of the shaft to keep the hat located on center.
          That was the same solution that I thought of. I will probably machine one from aluminum tomorrow.
          1988 325 auto-x car
          1989 325ix winter car
          1991 525i summer car

Comment

Originally posted by dave.a.cote View Post
            That was the same solution that I thought of. I will probably machine one from aluminum tomorrow.
            Because it will be sandwiched between the strut and the plate, I would make it aluminum but with a steel bushing in the through hole.

1987 Alpinweiß 325is

Comment

I'll ask Ireland tomorrow what they suggest for koni inserts.
              Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com
              My euro 316 project Transaction Feedback

Comment

im in for the next set once they are ready

Comment

Originally posted by noE30 View Post
                  Nigel can get them for you.
                  Nigel,
                  Can you get me a set of Bilstein dust boots? I'd hate to leave those shocks exposed to nasty Ohio winter roads.

Let me know what they cost.

Thanks

Comment

The Koni is supposed to be OK to run with the camber plates according to IE. That just how they fit. I'm going to get a laptop soon that will finally run my solid works 64 so i can complete some of my designs.
                    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com

Comment

Originally posted by einstein57 View Post
                      The Koni is supposed to be OK to run with the camber plates according to IE. That just how they fit. I'm going to get a laptop soon that will finally run my solid works 64 so i can complete some of my designs.
                      That'll be a nice laptop huh.. solidworks is a memory whore

1987 Alpinweiß 325is

Comment

I was considering getting some cheap laptop with an i3 processor and just RAM the hell out of it. I'll toss in a i5 chip in a few years when then can be had for pennies on the dollar. The PCs we use at school are dinosaurs but they keep upping the ram and video cards to keep up with the newer versions.

www.gecoils.com

Comment

Originally posted by einstein57 View Post
                          I was considering getting some cheap laptop with an i3 processor and just RAM the hell out of it. I'll toss in a i5 chip in a few years when then can be had for pennies on the dollar. The PCs we use at school are dinosaurs but they keep upping the ram and video cards to keep up with the newer versions.
                          Yeah you'll need to find one that has a decent separate video card. Most laptops use something integrated into the motherboard. Find a decent used gaming one.

1987 Alpinweiß 325is

Comment

I want soem 4 inch springs in the front I still got a 2 finger gap in the front with my trm c1's

Comment

Originally posted by tinkerputzer View Post
                              Run the amount of spacers you needed to get the popping to stop. Currently i run 3 on the bottom.
                              Originally posted by PNWDan View Post
                              Jack up the car and jack stand it.
                              Remove wheel.
                              Place jack under suspension and jack up suspension.
                              Leave the plate attached to the strut tower.
                              Unbolt sway bar and top nut on strut insert, lower jack.

the tube, spring, strut, and top hat will drop.

reach up and slip extra washers over strut shaft.

reverse assembly...

BTW, how did you strip the strut shaft? The nut should be softer than the hardened shaft.
                              Just wanted to let everyone know that since today I am running 3 spacer at the bottom and I currently have no popping or binding..

Originally posted by IRON-E View Post
                              Easy fix on the binding., I get it from time to time. I use silicone spray on the sleeves and the camber plates.
                              This happens with all the coilover brands, it's not just the GEs.
                              Ed, please let me know more about this.. I would like to go back to the way I.E. mentioned to put the spacers, just in case running 3 on bottom is bad, i would like to know more about this spray,

jou ma se poes in 'n fishpaste jar.
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Transaction Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by thebutcher37 View Post
                                Ed, please let me know more about this.. I would like to go back to the way I.E. mentioned to put the spacers, just in case running 3 on bottom is bad, i would like to know more about this spray,
                                I was getting popping noises at times, used some generic silicon lubricant spray around the underside of the plates with them on the car, got rid of the noise and it hasnt come back in the last 3 weeks...
                                90 318i M62B44 OBD1
                                02 530i Touring (Airlift 3P)

Comment

Working...
                                X