No announcement yet.

318iS Stromung Catback Group Buy 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mine's doing the same thing. I'm missing the clamp toward the front of the system that holds the mid section up near the transmission. I'm hoping getting that clamp will straighten things out.
    91 318is Members' Rides Thread

Comment

only issue im having is the exhaust is touching the valence on the left side how do i adjust this? its making a rattle sound
      No worries, if it didn't do this I'd be surprised. Mine did the same when initially hung. Bolt everything up loosely. Then start at the rear. Position your tailpipe with clearance the way you want it. An extra set of hands helps but you can do it alone. Snug brackets/hangers up working back to front. You may need a couple shots at it until you are happy with it but you'll get it. This system is very well designed and fits extremely well.

Comment

Originally posted by mabeer View Post
        No worries, if it didn't do this I'd be surprised. Mine did the same when initially hung. Bolt everything up loosely. Then start at the rear. Position your tailpipe with clearance the way you want it. An extra set of hands helps but you can do it alone. Snug brackets/hangers up working back to front. You may need a couple shots at it until you are happy with it but you'll get it. This system is very well designed and fits extremely well.
        This exactly. First time I bolted everything up without looking I was really disappointed. Followed the steps above and voila.. Nice and centered...

Comment

Last I heard was that they had accepted my order. Haven't heard anything about it being shipped. When do I panic?
          1998 M3 - Sold
          1991 318i - Sold
          1998 323is - Daily
          1986 325es - Project

Comment

I got notice of pack slip for ups. I'm assuming since it was made late Thursday and they are closed Friday, that it will be shipped beginning of next week.

Comment

I installed mine this morning. The muffler tip is off center so I will need to bend the hangers a bit. Had to retighten the pipe clamp cause i had a leak. Will post video shortly.

Comment

Originally posted by grke36m3 View Post
                got mine on today. sounds great only issue im having is the exhaust is touching the valence on the left side how do i adjust this? its making a rattle sound
                Mine was doing same thing. I readjusted but still had some rattle.

I found a used coolant system hose and cut washers, donuts from it. Inserted them in the 4 hanger attachment points. No more vibration noise.

Comment

seems like others are seeing it hit the valence as well. wonder why this was not addressed during the 1st run or maybe those people didn't have this inteference. I will try the rear to front method and report back.
                  Last edited by CB-M3; 05-26-2015, 05:57 AM.

Comment

I took mine to an exhaust shop because I was tired of trying to get things to work while laying on my back under the car.

After we loosened, rotated, and tightened the assembly a couple times with no real luck they ended up heating the pipe right before the muffler until it was red hot, then pried the muffler sideways until it was sitting centered.

Comment

not hitting the valance on mine...i believe in was in GB #2
                      1991 318is ---230K - DD
                      1991 318i ---- 308K - retired

Originally posted by RickSloan
                      so if you didnt get it like that did you glue fuzzy oil to the entire thing?

Comment

Finally drove the car around after messing with the fitment twice. See video above for sound. I got clearance of the muffler tip to the valence by bending the hangers and also tightening from rear to front. I'm still pretty angry the fitment wasn't easy as a common bolt-on exhaust. I've installed many after-market exhausts before on different cars this one took a lot of adjustment. I'm still leaking a bit at the slip-joint. Still feel exhaust gas around the joint. Why couldn't they make it 1 pc or a flanged connection? I've changed positions multiple time and torqued down on it a lot but still a leak. After driving it around the sound made up for it. But as for fit, the stromung gets a low score.
                        Last edited by CB-M3; 05-26-2015, 06:38 PM.

Comment

Also disappointed to hear the fitment issues, though I couldn't tell on mine since the PO cut the valence for a dual tip muffler and I installed a DEC cat at the same time as the Stromung.

For those who installed a new cat with their unit, did you ever source one of the donut gaskets between the cat and muffler sections?

Comment

Originally posted by boxy30 View Post
                            Also disappointed to hear the fitment issues, though I couldn't tell on mine since the PO cut the valence for a dual tip muffler and I installed a DEC cat at the same time as the Stromung.

For those who installed a new cat with their unit, did you ever source one of the donut gaskets between the cat and muffler sections?
                            I dug through the crate of donut gaskets at my local auto parts store and found one for a Jeep that was the correct inner diameter (2.25") and looked like it would work. I had to leave that night for the track so I had to give it a shot. I think it still leaks, it's too thick and the angle doesn't match the flange.

I found the part number for what should be the correct gasket (the BMW dealership was no help, I think they consider it a part of the cat assembly) and ordered it from Amazon. I'll get it later this week.

The exhaust shop put black RTV on my slip joints to try to fix the leaks. That either didn't work, or I've got a cracked exhaust manifold or bad gaskets between the manifold and the head. I have a very loud sputtering leak. My old exhaust was swiss cheese, so it's hard for me to track it down.

I may have the shop cut out the slip joints and weld it up once I'm certain I've got everything fitting correctly.

Comment

^man i thought I was crazy for being the only person with leaking issues (at the cat/muffler connection) from the group buy last fall but it's good to see it's not just me. I'm going to pick one of those donuts up and get it in the car in a week or two and see if that helps.

Comment

Can you do a drive by clip?

Originally posted by CB-M3 View Post

Finally drove the car around after messing with the fitment twice. See video above for sound. I got clearance of the muffler tip to the valence by bending the hangers and also tightening from rear to front. I'm still pretty angry the fitment wasn't easy as a common bolt-on exhaust. I've installed many after-market exhausts before on different cars this one took a lot of adjustment. I'm still leaking a bit at the slip-joint. Still feel exhaust gas around the joint. Why couldn't they make it 1 pc or a flanged connection? I've changed positions multiple time and torqued down on it a lot but still a leak. After driving it around the sound made up for it. But as for fit, the stromung gets a low score.

Comment

Working...
                                X