Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Garagistic E30 front strut bars (M42 e30 compatible)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got mine in. Looks great.

I was afraid this would happen, but the bar is interfering with my intake manifold on my M42 pretty hard once I tighten everything down. I'm running solid motor mounts, and the height difference is just enough to cause problems.

I could clearance the metal on intake manifold, or shave the motor mounts to be shorter. I thought of running washers under the strut bar for my track event this past weekend, but that seemed like it would eliminate the benefits of the bar and possibly stress the studs in the top mount in a weird way. Any thoughts on using washers temporarily? Are my assumptions correct?

Would some of you M42 guys mind measuring your clearance between the bar and the back edge of your intake manifold?
    Last edited by Ocell; 05-18-2015, 08:56 AM.
    91 318is Members' Rides Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Ocell View Post
      I got mine in. Looks great.

I was afraid this would happen, but the bar is interfering with my intake manifold on my M42 pretty hard once I tighten everything down. I'm running solid motor mounts, and the height difference is just enough to cause problems.

I could clearance the metal on intake manifold, or shave the motor mounts to be shorter. I thought of running washers under the strut bar for my track event this past weekend, but that seemed like it would eliminate the benefits of the bar and possibly stress the studs in the top mount in a weird way. Any thoughts on using washers temporarily? Are my assumptions correct?

Would some of you M42 guys mind measuring your clearance between the bar and the back edge of your intake manifold?
      clearance was almost perfect on mine, about 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch from manifold. might be better to weld a spacer plate to the bottom of each end of the strut bar

Comment

With new OEM mounts I had contact on the back of mine. I had a local welder clearance it by dimpling that area slightly. I now have 1/4" of clearance which is plenty.

clearance was almost perfect on mine, about 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch from manifold
        You had 1/2" - 3/4" clearance on an M42?

Comment

got mine a few weeks ago. Fits good and good quality all around. Fits over the downpipe on my m52 turbo.
          www.cp-e.com

1989 Zinno 325i m52 turbo coupe
          2015 Ford Fiesta ST, Daily Driver.

Comment

Originally posted by mabeer View Post
            With new OEM mounts I had contact on the back of mine. I had a local welder clearance it by dimpling that area slightly. I now have 1/4" of clearance which is plenty.
            Thanks. The welder dimpled the strut bar? Does that mean cutting a bit out and re-welding?

Comment

Originally posted by mabeer View Post

You had 1/2" - 3/4" clearance on an M42?
              yes, will post a pic. Maybe (probably!) my engine mounts are compressed/old

Comment

Thanks. The welder dimpled the strut bar? Does that mean cutting a bit out and re-welding?
                That was my first thought, to cut an ellipse, flip it and reweld but welder thought it would distort things too much. So he actually dimpled it. I assume in some type of vice but I don't know for sure. The dimple seems very precise and "controlled" for lack of a better word. He then spread the ends a bit to return to spec as the dimpling tends to pull the ends in a bit.

I don't know if it is the best or worst way to do it but it's adequate and was an inexpensive fix. Is it as strong as it was? I don't know. It does seem to handle sharper when cornering hard then without the bar. Is that placebo? IDK.

Comment

Ok, thanks for the explanation. I'm hoping this info can help Garagistic get these to fit the M42 on new stock mounts or solid mounts without modification. I imagine it's tricky on the first run.

Comment

So the Garagistic front strut tower brace arrived (9 days in transit!!!) and it fit as expected.

Nice quality piece but their idea of "grey" and mine are a bit different. This is silver- not grey. Given that I just painted my IM (a spare one, not the one pictured below) grey in anticipation of the bar arriving I am a bit disappointed.

Still, the fit was good and the quality/finish is solid.
                    Patrick Henry

1989 325iC build: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316880

Comment

No memorial day discounts by any chance?

Comment

Mine fit OK. Can't believe anyone has 1/2-3/4" clearance though. Motor mounts have been replaced last 15k. Only issue was the throttle cable bracket on the strut tower. I had to bend it out of the way, but it kinked the cable and it reved on start. I bent it again to straighten it out and seems fine. I don't notice any excess reving. Got it in black and slapped the red gargastic sticker on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Vincer325ei View Post
                          No memorial day discounts by any chance?
                          We will be having a moving sale on everything in our store soon. Making a thread soon!

Originally posted by Merlin8 View Post
                          Mine fit OK. Can't believe anyone has 1/2-3/4" clearance though. Motor mounts have been replaced last 15k. Only issue was the throttle cable bracket on the strut tower. I had to bend it out of the way, but it kinked the cable and it reved on start. I bent it again to straighten it out and seems fine. I don't notice any excess reving. Got it in black and slapped the red gargastic sticker on it.
                          Post pictures!

Comment

Hey I'm interested in bundling this with the x-brace. It fits m30 swap cars, right?
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dannyyisntt View Post
                              Hey I'm interested in bundling this with the x-brace. It fits m30 swap cars, right?
                              Yes It fits m30 cars. Jon Griggs is running our bar over his m30 car. x brace is actually on sale at the moment:

THE ULTIMATE X-BRACE FOR THE E30/E36 Currently on Pre-Order! We've redesigned our E30 and E36 cross brace for even more added structural rigidity to make this the best underbody bracing for these chassis. The newest version of our X brace is full billet aluminum and offers significant weight savings over previous desig

Comment

What kind of results have you guys been noticing?

Comment

Working...
                                X