Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Miller MAF III (Warning: Pic Heavy!)

Hello fellow R3ver's!

I purchased the MAF kit (version 3) from Miller a few months ago, and decided to finally write a little about it.

Shipping and Packaging:
    Great job here. Shipped right away, and packed securely.

Quality of Parts:
    Good. The MAF itself is a Bosch part, and the chip seems to be on par with other quality chips I've seen i.e. Dinan and Turner.

Instructions:
    Fail. No installation instructions were included, and the ones on the Miller web site were somewhat "universal", covering a few different engine applications. Which leads me to...

Customer Support:
    Excellent. I sent an email to Brody here on r3v, and he got back to me with exactly what I needed within a couple hours. Great job, and thanks again Brody!

Installation:
    Using Pelican Parts rating system (adding air to tires is 1, rebuilding an engine is 10) I'd say this is about a "3". Pretty easy. Here are a few pictures of the install procedure:

Disconnect battery:

Remove ECU cover:

Unplug ECU:

Pull back plastic covering the wires:

Cut wire 12 at the plug, and strip a bit of wire 37:

Solder wire 12 to wire 37:

Tape it up:

Pull the cover off the DME unit:

Put in the new chip, making sure it's facing the right way:

Then all that's left to do is take out the old AFM:

And put on the MAF itself (with a cone filter and a little home-made heat shield if you're like me):

Put it all back together, and you're done. The whole process took me 30 minutes.

Performance:
    There is a noticeable improvement, although not what I had expected. I didn't really notice any more power on the butt-dyno at first. However, there is definitely much crisper throttle response than with the AFM, and the engine seems to climb through the rpm range smoother now. The idle rpms are a solid 800, as opposed to the wondering idle it used to have. All around, the engine runs smoother and better. Also, it seems to "wake up" a bit more over 4k rpms, but that could just be in my head.

Reliability:
    I've been dd'ing it for three or four months now with no issues. Starts right up, and have never had any inconsistencies with it.

Summery:
    I like it. Would I buy it again? Yes, but it seems to me that if your AFM is working the way it should, you could get almost the same results with just a quality chip and save yourself $$$.

Hope this helped someone out a bit. Let me know if you have any specific questions about the MAF, and I'll be happy to give you my third-party opinion.
    Last edited by stillkotd; 01-10-2012, 06:12 PM.
    1989 325i m50b25tu swap
    1989 325i (sold)

But it sounds more cool over an AFM right?
    Euro M3'87 NogaroSilver/Euro E34 M5 '93/Porsche 993 TT 97' Euro/Porsche 993 Carrera 95' Euro/Skyline R33 GT-R

Comment

It does significantly increase induction noise, that's for sure. My car sounds like a freakin' 1940s Electrolux vacuum

Comment

Im getting this on friday. Im going to use a KAMOTORS CAI. The cone on your set up is sucking in hot air from its surroundings.

Nice DIY tho!
        My 1991 325i Cabrio Build

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=227529

Comment

That picture is right after I put it on. There's a metal shield around it now so it pulls air from the grill.
          1989 325i m50b25tu swap
          1989 325i (sold)

Comment

do you have to splice the wires on the ECU with all the miller MAFs?

im in my garage at the moment trying to do it but i dont wana cut wires until im positive.

i swapped the AFM with the MAF and installed the chip .

the car ran like crap. That is why im asking if i have to splice wires...

Comment

Originally posted by Anguz View Post

im in my garage at the moment trying to do it but i dont wana cut wires until im positive.

yes lol.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Yes, you absolutely have to splice the wires.
                2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
                2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
                1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
                1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
                - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
                1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
                1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
                Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

thank you

Comment

Tape it up? Dude, use a small piece of heat shrink.

Comment

ok, i installed the whole set up.

it idles ok but my throttel is all messed up. it will start accelerating and then bogs/looses power.

oh check engine light is on.

Comment

ok, i installed the whole set up.

it idles ok but my throttel is all messed up. it will start accelerating and then bogs/looses power.

oh check engine light is on.
                        IF you don't have the correct wires spliced it will run like poo, double check you soldering job.

7speedshop.com

Comment

wires check
                          maf installed correctly check
                          chip installed correctly check
                          car still runs like shit

check engine light still on

Comment

whats the code?

My miller maf gave me the ICV but i think the DME is bad.

Over all I didnt feel much of a gain vs my chip/adjusted afm. Looks cool and mid range power is a blast but no power past 6300. Im uninstalling my today sine im selling my vert.

Comment

A miller chip makes more sense vs a chip if you have an engine with more substantial modifications that would require a custom chip vs just an off the shelf solution or plan on further mods in the future. Like cammed stroker with high compression etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X