My rant about: THR lollipoops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bimmerfanatik
    In any case - this should be in product reviews, and that's where it's going. I'm tempted to clean up anything that DOESN'T relate to the cabs specifically, but I'm restraining myself in the interest of keeping things accurate and limiting the censorship. Restraint...interesting new concept. Some of the members that posted in this thread should try it.
    This is Moderating at its finest, fellas.

Thanks for your sensible approach.

As far as THR CABs go, they have the additional benefit of making additional room where it's needed for exhausts for M50 swap cars.

To me, if you're not going to push your car and exploit the geometry benefits of the stiffer bushings in THR CABs, the only real reason to run them is to give you room for the exhaust on your M50 car. If you're not going to swap in an M50, then you're better off going w/ new OEM M3 CABs, to enjoy the same geometry (although with more deflection than THR CABs) w/ out the harshness of thin stiff bushings.

I personally think it's BS for customers to buy a part like this, then get on a forum and spread a negative word about it, when:

- You didn't do your research before you bought the part.
    - It's not THR's fault that you didn't do your research.
    - The part works exactly as advertised.
    - You know that THR will not be logging on to R3V to represent themselves and dispute your claims --- likely because they are unaware that they are being slammed.

You have to use some common sense when you buy parts like this --- if you replace your soft factory bushings with those that are stiff and hard, you have to understand that this will generally serve to make your car less comfortable on the street --- this means noise as well as ride comfort. If you put spherical bearings on top of your struts, your ride will suffer and noise will increase. The same is true w/ camber plates, for example. Less deflection, better geometry, more noise, less comfort. As you make more modifications like this to your car (low-profile tires, lightweight wheels, stiff bushings, stiff springs, stiff dampers, etc), this will compound the issue --- the level of comfort will decrease further as your performance potential increases. This is a simple concept. Common sense.

I also feel that if you HONESTLY want to improve your situation, and make things better, then you will contact the manufacturer FIRST, and work with them on a solution. THR sold these CABs, and they should be given the opportunity to provide you whatever level of customer service they see fit.

Maybe they want to help you out and quiet down the noises --- maybe they don't. But they should be given that opportunity to make their statement, before you run off and slam them. THR as a company is good to the E30 community in general, and you do nothing to help the relationship between aftermarket companies and their customers by slamming them w/ out giving them a chance.

If THR was to mishandle your case or treat you badly or whatever, and you have done your part to work it out w/ them, then I could see it as reasonable to get on the forum and talk to your buddies to share your experience.

The way I see it, Permit, you have only yourself to blame.
    Last edited by Low Level E30; 04-18-2006, 12:36 AM.

Comment

It was a rant, not a "give-me-my-money-back-this-shit-is-wacked" thing. If I were the only one with this problem, then I would be holding back my words. However, this is a rather common problem, and I decided to voice it.

In the last year I've realized that this isn't a part designed for all e30's, which is why I won't be buying them again, but it doesn't mean it's a horrible product. I bought these with the intention of improving my steering feel and--obviously--there was more to be lost than gained.

However, if I had a track rat and wanted that extra caster and clearance for a 24v exhaust (which may be my limiting factor when I decide on new CABs), then I would turn directly to THR.

Word to Scott, "fuck you" to all others that think assholes still run this site. Peace out.

Comment

Originally posted by Lars325is
        oh, but i'm planning on it and want to make my car a "track car". I am planning on flat black wheels to hide brake dust and a headlight delete so i can draw in cool air at the track

also, about to order brake ducts.

why are you questioning my desires? just let me do what i want... gosh.

anyway, i think i should get these THR CABs... when's the next group buy? I'm too poor to pay retail
        is this a joke?

Comment

Originally posted by kowalski
          is this a joke?

I sure fucking hope so. If not, it's quite sad. Maybe one day he'll be able to afford gas so he can use his car for transportation

Keep it slideways!!

Comment

Originally posted by Axxe
            I sure fucking hope so. If not, it's quite sad. Maybe one day he'll be able to afford gas so he can use his car for transportation
            I'm pretty sure it's e-sarcasm, but you never can tell.
            The BMW 318 is back. With a vengeance.

Comment

Originally posted by hamann318is
              Indeed it is. Lars has a K-Prepared 325is that has an affinity for the Armco.
              Current Cars
              2014 M235i
              2009 R56 Cooper S
              1998 M3
              1997 M3

Comment

Originally posted by DaveCN
                Indeed it is. Lars has a K-Prepared 325is that has an affinity for the Armco.
                only happened once. clearly the problem was not enough horsepower. i need to do a S50 swap

mmmm Maddogg20/20

Comment

I like mine, I love the feel.

As other people have said, and I have found out. You have to clean all the paint and grime off the control arm or they will squeal! For some reason though I just drove mine about 70 miles and it just worked itself out, it dosnt make noise anymore.
                  Rollin' with a Geistkuchen

Comment

Originally posted by hamann318is
                    Yeah, I get the funnay right now. It seems all is not how it appears ;)

Keep it slideways!!

Comment

Originally posted by Low Level E30
                      - You know that THR will not be logging on to R3V to represent themselves and dispute your claims --- likely because they are unaware that they are being slammed.
                      Hey, everyone is always free to call us. Believe it or not, we like to talk to BMW owners, and are willing to help out.
                      However, you can lead a horse to water, but you cant make him drink.
                      Oh, and defending the harsh vibrations from fuh raze people is getting tiring.

NASA MidSouth TT Director / GTS2 #018
                      Mods: Coastal PS Fluid, 10w40 Oil
                      Future Mods: Bosch Micro-Edge Wiper Blades, Painter's Tape, Spark Plugs, Freezer for Nutty Buddys, Adam Nitti CD's

Comment

Originally posted by Skafrog
                        Hey, everyone is always free to call us. Believe it or not, we like to talk to BMW owners, and are willing to help out.
                        However, you can lead a horse to water, but you cant make him drink.
                        Oh, and defending the harsh vibrations from fuh raze people is getting tiring.
                        RIGHT ON!

All I gotta say...wait, I've already said it.

THR rocks. nuff said. They do a damn good job! I've been happy! :D
                        - Sean Hayes

Comment

if this is such of a race only part, why does it say for street on the internet site? why does it not say in the product review that they pop and make noises-IF IT IS NORMAL???

Comment

Originally posted by mikeedler
                            if this is such of a race only part, why does it say for street on the internet site? why does it not say in the product review that they pop and make noises-IF IT IS NORMAL???
                            Does the "popping" noise affect handling or reliablity of the part? If not, then who cares?

BMW uses rubber bushings on this part for a reason. Remove the deflection on a part like this, and you get adverse reactions. You also get positive reactions in terms of handling. Everything is a compromise.

-Charlie
                            Swing wild, brake later, don't apologize.
                            '89 324d, '76 02, '98 318ti, '03 Z4, '07 MCS, '07 F800s - Bonafide BMW elitist prick.
                            FYYFF

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie
                              Does the "popping" noise affect handling or reliablity of the part? If not, then who cares?

BMW uses rubber bushings on this part for a reason. Remove the deflection on a part like this, and you get adverse reactions. You also get positive reactions in terms of handling. Everything is a compromise.

-Charlie
                              Eaaaasy Charlie. Lots of big words and physics theories in there.

We don't want any logical posts in this thread - be gone with you and your wizardry.

Comment

THR needs to apparantly make their customers sign a notice that reducing bushing material and getting a "crispier" feel is indeed what they know they are buying, and are willing accepting that...

as far as popping, there are many possible solutions... and the original poster would be too lazy to attempt them or even fucking call THR. he'd rather just bitch about it online than do something to solve it.

weak.

Comment

Working...
                                X