No announcement yet.

Falken Zeix 912

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just got a set put on yesterday and they are great. Give a good feel on the corners, are nice and quiet, and do well in heavy rain. . . I know what you are thinking, "all of that in one day?" Yep. Thumbs up from me. Especially for the price. I got mine for $229 shipped from Vulcantires.com
    -tim
    Originally posted by Jordan
    I like the stance
    -Coining hip terms since 10/9/03

Comment

I've had a set of the 912s put on since January and overall, they're a good tire for the price. However, my previous tires (Potenza GIII) did feel better and more composed in the corners.

Comment

I think I'll throw a few words in here for the Falken's. My experience with them:

2 sets of 512's on an '03 TL-S.
        2 sets of 205/60-14 512's on my E30, and now 225/50-15 512's on there.
        1st set of 912's (225/45-17)on an '06 330i non-sport.

So that's 24 Falken tires, all purchased from edgeracing.com ... I can recommend them highly.

My experience shows that on a car like the TL-S being driven quite spiritedly, the 512's only last about 15000 miles. But I'm sure if you drove a 318i gently you'd have no problem passing 20-25K on them.
        The 512 was a decent tire for the price, but certainly lacked in comparison to a lot of the pricey summer performance tires available.

Now that the 912 has replaced the 512, things have changed. As an FYI, Falken are owned and produced by Sumitomo Rubber Inc, another name I'm sure you're familiar with.
        I decided to put a set of 912's on my dad's 330i, as the stock Continental's had worn severely at the edges due to under-inflation (BMW's archaic run-flat "TPMS" system does not indicate when pressure is low in all 4 tires, something a Chrysler minivan does).
        The difference to the stock run-flats was quite astounding. While the originals offered a more flat response in the corners (almost as if there was a thick anti-roll bar on the car), the 912s provided an equal or better level of grip, despite their softer sidewalls. When new, they were so grippy that a sharp 90* on-ramp was possible at 55mph or more, rendering me strapped against the door of the car (bolsters didn't help). However, one negative aspect is that the car felt a bit more twitchy and less stable in high-speed cornering, due to the softer sidewalls. Grip was, at least, still maintained well though.

In terms of braking, the difference is phenomenal compared to the run-flats, which are known for being poor in braking due to their lack of flex (the tread does not "squash out" under load). I can assure you that trying to brake from 125-0 on an off-ramp with a new set of run-flats is nothing short of terrifying. (Stupidity on my part didn't help, but thankfully the light stayed green and I was able to slow enough for the turn that I didn't have to over-shoot and get back on the freeway). When the 912's are paired with the massive brakes on the 330i, braking is excellent.

When compared to the 512's, the 912's certainly seem to out-grip, and out-brake them. I have no snow experience, but wet grip also seems improved, with impressive levels shown and fairly predictable handling also. The only thing I haven't come to a conclusion on yet is the hydroplaning resistance... the 512's were very good, but I'm not sure that the 912's improved on that aspect, and maybe don't even equal it.

As far as wear goes, I am sorry to say that the 912's do not not seem any better in that area, either. The rears (never rotated) on the 330i are fairly worn after about 9000 miles, and probably won't do more than 12-15K total. The fronts still look good though, so if you drive a 260hp RWD car and like to rotate regularly, then you might get 20K miles out of them with average driving...

Bang for the buck, the 912's are almost impossible to beat though, even if they are a bit shorter-lived than some of the more expensive tires on the market...
        Last edited by sweetride01; 05-02-2009, 05:15 AM.
        Moving sale: Everything Must Go!
        FS: 2001 740iL Sport, low mileage..... SOLD
        FS: 1990 Mtec II 325iS, $12,0K OVNO
        FS: 2003 Honda Odyssey EX-L Navi..... SOLD

FS: New Rieger lip, lachsilber metallic (WILL INCLUDE W/e30!!)
        FS: Very rare, new lachsilber metallic E30 Aero pack sideskirts... (WILL INCLUDE W/e30!!)

Extreme 325iS (well, slowly getting there, anyway)......
        Almost too many mods to list ;-)

Comment

Good review!

I'm still pleased with my tires. All I can do is echo you in saying that it truly is the best bang for the buck.
          -tim
          I like the stance

Comment

Ive had 205/50/15s all around on my car for almost a year. No complaints. Definitely a nice tire and decently priced too.

Comment

I've been looking at these for awhile, I had a set on my last car but didn't have another same-size tire to compare it to.

What size are you all running? I was thinking of going to 195/60 for a little less sidewall flex and effectively lower gearing, the stock 65 aspect ratio is pretty truck-like.

Comment

Stock 195/65 FTW. If you want less sidewall, get a bigger wheel. ;)
                -tim
                I like the stance

Comment

Love em.
                  Had 3 sets now including the 512's before they went away.

Comment

Anyone have inside shoulder wear.

the inside of one of my tires is showing some signs of delamination/blistering. i have a been rotating the things pretty often, and do have a lot of camber, front and rear. i also drive like an asshole... so... you know.

Originally posted by vlad
                    Do you know anybody else who built that many bad ass E30s?

Comment

Originally posted by Joe318is View Post
                      The inside of one of my tires is showing some signs of delamination/blistering. . . . I do have a lot of camber, front and rear.
                      Sounds strange to me.
                      -tim
                      I like the stance

Comment

well, yes i know that!

im just suprised that the tires are not very worn and are showing this wear pattern. ive run around on many other sets of tires that didnt show this kind of wear until they were nearly bald.

Originally posted by vlad
                        Do you know anybody else who built that many bad ass E30s?

Comment

:D I was just messing with you. I think it's due to the fact that the rubber is a bit softer than most all-seasons, which is why they grip so well (for all-seasons).
                          -tim
                          I like the stance

Comment

Wearing even for me. Car is dumped, tires are super-stretched. Doesn't get much more demanding.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe318is View Post
                              well, yes i know that!

im just suprised that the tires are not very worn and are showing this wear pattern. ive run around on many other sets of tires that didnt show this kind of wear until they were nearly bald.
                              there's always that possibility of ONE bad apple in the batch, you might want to see if the seller/retailer will consider asking for warranty from the distributor.

Comment

sorry for the OT but i think edgeracing is now closed :sad:
                                i've been buying tires from them

1991 330is

Comment

Working...
                                X