No announcement yet.

Falken Zeix 912

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

forgot to get back to this thread. heres the wear im talking about.

inside rear, tires have been rotated [every autocross when swapping back from r-comps]

Originally posted by vlad
    Do you know anybody else who built that many bad ass E30s?

Comment

falkens are the shit for the price you pay..
      sigpic

Comment

A brief update with something that is probably obvious to most: these are very good generic DD tyres. They do not like HPDEs. With a capital D and a capital N.

Comment

I've thrown down a few hot laps on mine. Was admittedly only around ~15min on track though, decided that aggressively sliding on 215/35s on an 18x9 when my track 235s are sitting in the paddock was pretty stupid. :p

You chunk them? They melt?

Comment

Same review as most. Good DD tire for an e30.

Comment

They melt. And I was not even remotely pushing the car. The issue is, when they start, they become VERY soapy...

Comment

Lol. So your saying that I shouldn't use my All-season tires made for street use on the track? :)
                -tim
                Originally posted by Jordan
                I like the stance
                -Coining hip terms since 10/9/03

Comment

There's something which clearly keeps eluding me.
                  You are entirely correct: using these at a *track event* would be very ill advised.
                  However, given the theory behind HPDEs, one could very well say that there is no reason not to use them there and several very good reasons to do so.
                  Now, we know that the practice is (unfortunately) very different, but one can very easily infer that you shouldn't be using these for driving in Europe, either. I know I wouldn't, after driving on them at Pocono.

Comment

Wait, I just realized something. My GF was at the same track day, with 8/32nds 912s mounted on her Protege5. That car was on track for about 2 hours total, including at least 30 mins of me sliding it around for fun (blown rear shocks and a balanced chassis ftw). They didn't have a slightest bit of chunking/irregular wear, in fact she's still daily driving on them today.

Granted it wasn't a hot day, but still, no funny wear in the least.

Comment

512's get goobers with heat, but wear suprisingly even even when pushed way beyond their design scope.

Morning rain session, threw them back on after my r-comps were cooked for the drive home (afternoon was dry).

They gripped surprising well on the first few laps, but became a greasy mess after 3 fast laps (10/10ths).

From what I hear the 912 are a harder compound with stiffer sidewalls so they should be even better.

Keep it slideways!!

Comment

Ahhh, those were the days Tomek.

I wish I took pics of the 912s at the end of the day. No tread abrasions at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Axxe View Post
                          They gripped surprising well on the first few laps, but became a greasy mess after 3 fast laps (10/10ths).

From what I hear the 912 are a harder compound with stiffer sidewalls so they should be even better.
                          That sounds generous. Then again, E30 + S50 + mods + hack driver = lots of heat in the tires.

Comment

What is your tire width? If you are simply not giving it enough rubber I could see it warm up quick.
                            -tim
                            Originally posted by Jordan
                            I like the stance
                            -Coining hip terms since 10/9/03

Comment

225/50-15. I was running 34-35psi at first, then I bumped up to 37 (!!) cold. Then... my engine blew up, but that's another story. This is with a quasi-stock S50 in the car, though, with short gearing.

Comment

I have yet to have a problem with mine, though I have not done any HPDEs with them. They're still running strong. I have a new set of snow tires, but I'll try the 912s in the snow again this year to see how they've held up to their 'all season' name.

Comment

Working...
                                X