42 Draft Designs Spacers and Adapters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yup, that's not a problem.

available widths are 15/18/20/25/30/35 - email me at info@8380labs.com and i'll get you set up, thanks!
    8380 Laboratories
    M3 Champs Poster

Comment

recently posted this up somewhere else and thought it would be good to have here too - a good explanation of why you should be buying these adapters:

OEM 5-lug style 5's are the most popular example of a wide range of stock BMW (and other manufacturers') wheels that people like to run on 4-lug e30s.

as i see it, there are several factors that must be taken into account when considering a modification like running 5-lug wheels on a 4-lug car:

1) what are the available options?

- full 5-lug suspension swap, redrill or adapters

2) are you planning on driving the car on the track or the street?

- i would not recommend adapters or a redrill for track applications

3) what is your budget?

- if we're talking about running a set of wheels for purely aesthetic purposes on a street car, only two of these options make sense from a budget/effort standpoint, and that would be a redrill or adapters.

4) which option will fit the best?

- let's say you were hell bent on a 5-lug swap. unless you're planning on purchasing a $1,500+ e30 m3 setup, a hacked together e36/z3/whatever setup is going to totally bugger the geometry (especially the front castor) those german engineers worked so hard to perfect. an e36/etc 5-lug swap also widens the track significantly, so your 5-lug wheels now bolt up directly, but fit the same way as they would with $400 adapters - except you spent way more money and effort to get there. also, if you want to change wheels it's much harder to reverse a 5-lug swap.

- fill and drill will allow you to retain the stock offsets, but you'll need to buy spacers to get the wheels to sit properly in the fenders - there's another $200+ on top of the $300+ you spent on the redrill...if you can find a place who will touch that project.

- we've sold quite a few sets of 18mm 4x100 > 5x120 adapters to e30 guys running style 5s and other 5-lug wheels - there are a bunch of pics and reviews in this thread...people are realizing the degree to which this 4-to-5-lug design has opened up their wheel options.

5) which option is the safest?

- if you've ever seen a 4x100 redrilled style 5 wheel, you'll know that to do that they must machine into the centerbore of the wheels. i personally wouldn't want to run those on my car, and it's the same reason many machinists will refuse to do the work. i know there are people out there who have run redrilled wheels safely, but if there's a price-competitive option that's more readily available and less of a safety gamble, i'd go that route, personally.

- a considerable amount of time was put into the research and development of this product line, and the result is a 4-to-5 lug adapter design that is revolutionary. i've been using adapters in some form or another for about 8 years now, and these are the best i've ever seen.

- from the modular hubcentric rings, to the use of studs (which makes installs much easier) and the design of the kidney-shaped adapter plate, which means no moving parts (compared to all other 4-to-5-lug adapter designs) - these are by far the best designed/built and safest adapters on the market, and the best choice if you want to quickly/easily/cheaply/safely run 5-lug wheels on your 4-lug car.

let me know if you have any questions, thanks.
      Last edited by 8380 Labs; 01-31-2013, 09:38 AM.
      8380 Laboratories
      M3 Champs Poster

Comment

up
        8380 Laboratories
        M3 Champs Poster

Comment

Email sent!
          '89 Schwarz E30 M3 Cabriolet Build

Comment

thanks Ethan! Great product
            sorry I'm slow with pictures

Dale
            1991 E30 Touring

Comment

no worries, thanks for pic, dale - looks great.
              8380 Laboratories
              M3 Champs Poster

Comment

long overdue

Well it took me long enough to get pictures up but here is one until I can get home and post some better ones of fitment. Enjoy!

Untitled by Gfarm318, on Flickr
                Last edited by NC318e30; 07-10-2012, 02:47 PM.

Comment

nice! thanks garrett.
                  8380 Laboratories
                  M3 Champs Poster

Comment

not the best picture but test fit went well, thanks ethan!
                    Originally posted by Wh33lhop
                    If you actually stay within your budget, you are not a true car enthusiast. True story.

Comment

This off topic a little bit, but I've followed the thread and I like to run BMW wheels on my Volvos. Can you make an adapter that is 5x108(hub) to 5x120(wheel) in a 15mm thickness?

Comment

that's actually totally on-topic.

i spoke with the guys and they can do that, not a problem. PM sent with details.
                        8380 Laboratories
                        M3 Champs Poster

Comment

8380 Laboratories
                          M3 Champs Poster

Comment

Originally posted by 8380 Labs View Post
                            here's 42 draft's response when i passed your issue onto them:

"We verified that those were the correct lugs, they should not have rounded out like that. You may need to use a deeper socket to get the entire lug nut head in the socket. The socket might have been bottoming out on the stud on the adapter so it could only grab onto half of the head or so which could cause it to weaken and round. With the entire head of the nut in the socket it will not round though."
                            sorry, just saw this now. this is not the case. i can send in some of the nuts to show what i experienced. ran into a couple guys today that also purchased these with the same issue.

the depth of socket is less an issue than the depth of lug nut. the beveled sides make for a very limited actual grabbing surface, regardless of socket selection. the material of the nuts seems to be too soft to cope and gives under tension.
                            Last edited by mkcman17; 07-16-2012, 12:47 AM.
                            1989 325is / 2.7, 274 cam, e30 M3 5-lug
                            1989 LN106 Hilux / 3.0TD SFA
                            1974 2002tii / stock
                            2002 IS300 / 5spd LSD

Comment

Pm sent
                              1987 325is - S52

Comment

replied, thanks nick.
                                8380 Laboratories
                                M3 Champs Poster

Comment