Proposition 37

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proposition 37

PROP 37: California Proposition 37, Mandatory Labeling of Genetically Engineered Food (2012)
    ----
    Not a FAN of GMO - check out what's on the ballot this year and make your own decision...

Learn More:

---
    Interesting that Monsanto is FIRST on the LIST OF SUPPORTERS AGAINST this Proposition. If you don't know about MONSANTO, check out this link to learn more just search YouTube and type Monsanto... That alone would make me vote YES on this Prop.
    ---
    SHIRT AVAILABLE FOR SALE AT: Liveinfulleffect.com

AutoX w/ a Roof Rack for extra Aerodynamics...

Should make yes on prop 30 shirts too.

Comment

Monsanto = Evil

"Modern cars may be able to outgun it, but few can match its character, its motorsport spirit, and the way it plasters a huge grin on your face at any speed." - Patrick George

1988 M3 - Track Rat
      1989 325iC M50 Vert
      1989 325i Coupe
      1991 318is
      1995 318ti Club Sport
      2006 330i e90
      2008 Tundra Crewmax

Comment

That shirt is offensive to pharmacy school students lol. In the south here, pharming means getting your pharmacy school on, although here I guess it's talking about the genetic modification of food stuffs... which doesn't make much sense since Rx stand for "prescription". Funny. However, I hate to tell you, everything you've ever eaten has been genetically modified (whether it's been by natural means or not). Thousands and thousands of years of selecting desirable crops and the selective mating of plants by humans have led to for example the perfect ears of corn for us to eat. Naturally, corn kernals are supposed to fall off the plant very easily for easy distribution of the seeds. We've selected these out of existance basically with the human selection of ideal breading patterns so we can have corn that's worth a damn.

Also, most genetic modifations that are "unnatural" make sense. For instance, making a a plant over express a gene that causes the production of an innate pesticide. This would prevent pests from eating the plants without the use of a lot of herbicides that would have to be used. It in no way affects the consumer either. This also helps the environment by preventing contamination by pestisides. You ever hear of the dead spot of the gulf (and I'm talking before the BP oil spill)? It occurs right where the mississippi river dumps into the gulf. Nitrogenous runoff from pestiseds used on farmlands that border the mississipi ends up accumulating and no fish or anything can really live there... aside from maybe some types of nitrogenous bacteria, etc.

No offense, but most people that are against the genetic modification of food really have no idea what they're talking about. They see the words "genetic modification" and go crazy because the media put negative connotations on that phrase... just saying. It's not like mutant DNA from a plant is going to imbed into your genome and cause a catostrophic change. Your body doesn't recognize a food that's been genetically modified, it's all the same to it. Recent studies have shown that food labels as "USDA Organic" are no more nutritious than regular food at the grocery store. Hell, most of the food at grocery stores classify as organic anyways. There's definately no reason to spend twice the money on something because an "organic" sticker has been put on it. And there's no reason to harp on farmers that are trying to make better crops that are safer for the environment and less expesnive for the consumer. I'm all about supporting the local economy, so why do you just go to your nearest farm or farmers market and buy from them. Can't really get any better than that.
        Last edited by e30slidewayz; 10-08-2012, 07:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by e30slidewayz View Post
          That shirt is offensive to pharmacy school students lol. In the south here, pharming means getting your pharmacy school on, although here I guess it's talking about the genetic modification of food stuffs... which doesn't make much sense since Rx stand for "prescription". Funny. However, I hate to tell you, everything you've ever eaten has been genetically modified (whether it's been by natural means or not). Thousands and thousands of years of selecting desirable crops and the selective mating of plants by humans have led to for example the perfect ears of corn for us to eat. Naturally, corn kernals are supposed to fall off the plant very easily for easy distribution of the seeds. We've selected these out of existance basically with the human selection of ideal breading patterns so we can have corn that's worth a damn.

Also, most genetic modifations that are "unnatural" make sense. For instance, making a a plant over express a gene that causes the production of an innate pesticide. This would prevent pests from eating the plants without the use of a lot of herbicides that would have to be used. It in no way affects the consumer either. This also helps the environment by preventing contamination by pestisides. You ever hear of the dead spot of the gulf (and I'm talking before the BP oil spill)? It occurs right where the mississippi river dumps into the gulf. Nitrogenous runoff from pestiseds used on farmlands that border the mississipi ends up accumulating and no fish or anything can really live there... aside from maybe some types of nitrogenous bacteria, etc.

No offense, but most people that are against the genetic modification of food really have no idea what they're talking about. They see the words "genetic modification" and go crazy because the media put negative connotations on that phrase... just saying. It's not like mutant DNA from a plant is going to imbed into your genome and cause a catostrophic change. Your body doesn't recognize a food that's been genetically modified, it's all the same to it. Recent studies have shown that food labels as "USDA Organic" are no more nutritious than regular food at the grocery store. Hell, most of the food at grocery stores classify as organic anyways. There's definately no reason to spend twice the money on something because an "organic" sticker has been put on it. And there's no reason to harp on farmers that are trying to make better crops that are safer for the environment and less expesnive for the consumer. I'm all about supporting the local economy, so why do you just go to your nearest farm or farmers market and buy from them. Can't really get any better than that.
          interesting that the people who have 'the most to lose' for this prop are a big supporter. Either its a mind fuck or just fucking us over like they always do.

You need to read up on monsanto and their business practices. Oh and they've literally wiped crop diversity out which = not good if shit goes south.

Comment

From what I'm seeing it looks as though Monsanto is a the largest supplier of genetically modified food and seeds as well as a manufacturer of pesticides. The only issue I see with their patenting of their seeds, etc. is that they are monopolizing the industry. What do you think Apple tries to do with their cell phones? Their business practices are questionable, but that's business. It has nothing to do with the safety/quality of their food or seeds. I say let them, they're the ones investing the R&D into it, they should should be rewarded from that. Other companies are able to do the same thing, it just looks like they got their foot in the door first as far as their corporation is concerned.

But genetically modified food is of no harm to humans. It's funny, it seems as though every artical I've read says something along the lines of "Are these GMOs safe? Maybe not, according to some." Where's the data to back this up? If they are using and pushing carcinogenic fertilizer or pesticides, that's another issue. The fact is the food itself is safe. Lots of propaganda filtered down through tree huggers who have no idea about the science behind all of this is what it seems. I for one discourage jumping on that bandwagon. Get a degree in biology and chemistry before making any claims to whether or not things are safe or not.

It's a shame that this corporation is giving itself, and genetic food science, a bad name through their business practices. However, does this mean that all food that has been genetically modified needs a label saying so? Hell no, all that's going to do is cause the lay person to avoid it due to all the propaganda they hear. The "labeling" of genetically modified food is just misplaced and ill thought.
            Last edited by e30slidewayz; 10-08-2012, 07:43 PM.

Comment

while there could be some benfits of gmo seeds, monsanto is not doing it for the right reasons. they are doing it for pure greed.

there seeds can kill other none gmo seeds so if you get any of their product on your property/farm your crops and plants are ruined and will die. then the only way to regrow any of your crops is you have to buy their seeds. that is one small example but they are a horrible company

Comment

Originally posted by CreamBeam View Post
                while there could be some benfits of gmo seeds, monsanto is not doing it for the right reasons. they are doing it for pure greed.

there seeds can kill other none gmo seeds so if you get any of their product on your property/farm your crops and plants are ruined and will die. then the only way to regrow any of your crops is you have to buy their seeds. that is one small example but they are a horrible company
                word... watch is this documentary: or type "Monsanto" on YouTube...

the truth is we all are probably eating tainted food unknowingly, but at least we can try to continue to speak out for the truth and bring awareness...

AutoX w/ a Roof Rack for extra Aerodynamics...

Comment

[QUOTE=DivineStyler;3413855]word... watch is this documentary: or type "Monsanto" on YouTube...

the truth is we all are probably eating tainted food unknowingly, but at least we can try to continue to speak out for the truth and bring awareness...

Wurd! You speak the truth

Comment

WTF is this doing in this section of the forum anyways? None of this has ANYTHING to do with BMWs, much less e30's, nor is the op a forum sponsor.

MODS!!! Do something about this garbage.
                    Originally posted by Beastolizer
                    what is the difference between the 12 LED and 6 LED and 24 LED?
                    Originally posted by norcalE30
                    you may want to sit down, this is complex...
                    one has 6 LEDs, one has 12 LEDs, and one has 24 LEDs

Comment

Working...
                    X