Massive e30 rear race kit coming soon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Massive e30 rear race kit coming soon

Scheduled for release by the end of September.

Rear race kit for e30s. No provision for ebrake. Kit will use Wide mount Dynalite calipers with 1" pistons, and 11.75" x 0.81" rotors. You need to remove the ebrake system and backing plates. I repeat. It is for racing only. The caliper is flush with the hat's face. So no clearance problems on most 15" wheels.

Installation kit includes:
    Pair of anodized hats
    Pair of 3/8" thick stainless steel caliper adapters
    All required fasteners
    Pair of 90º 1/8NPT-to-M10 brake line adapters

Prepaid orders: $500usd until September 1st.
    Regular price: $600usd

Extras
    Wilwood Widemount Dynalite calipers - #120-6985
    UL straight vanes 11.75" x 0.81" rotors - #160-0471
    E compound pads - #15E-6096K or Q compound Pads - #15Q-6824K

Thanks
    Brake harder. Go faster. No shit.

massivebrakes.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Massiv...78417442267056

MassiveLee,

Any chances that there will be a street kit with e-brake provisions? Maybe a RACE kit with a line lock? I was thinking of shooting you an e-mail last night about this very tipic...

Comment

Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber View Post
      MassiveLee,

Any chances that there will be a street kit with e-brake provisions? Maybe a RACE kit with a line lock? I was thinking of shooting you an e-mail last night about this very tipic...
      It is not physically possible to have a 160mm ebrake drum when the inner Ø of the rotor is 162mm. I made it work with the e30 M3 rear kit which uses a bigger 12.2" rotor. I designed a steel drum that is a bolt-on to the back of the aluminum hat. But it is an expensive option.

"Hydraulic Line locks" seem to be very popular with the dune buggy crowd and it cost only around $40usd. I don't know if it is DOT compliant though. Designing a kit with a mechanical spot caliper is also out of the question, as the one I designed around Christmas for 2002s took about 60 hours of engineering, for only 15 units produced. Not worth it.

2002 rear kit pictured below.

massivebrakes.com

Comment

Those are beautiful, but your right, too much work for the payoff. What is your feeling on fatigue to the calipers in your rear kit if it where pressurized for parking brake usage.

Comment

I wouldn't be worried about stressing out the rear caliper. What I have no data is about hydraulic leak thru the Line Lock. This is what worries me.

May I mention that if a parking brake is required, then it is not for a racecar as they don't need ebrakes, and therefore no rear kit is required. :pimp:

massivebrakes.com

Comment

Im just trying to throw money at my project car like cash is going out of style ( it is, think Debit Cards), and i want matching brakes....j/k

I'm just looking for the maximum performance from bolt on components for this project. If your experiance has deemed that it's overkill, then I have to find a way to make it work.

Comment

Hi Farbin.

I spent some time thinking about your request for an ebrake. I have designed a system for the rear e30M3 kit that I will be able to apply to the rear non-M kit. A bolt-on steel ring. Problem that it is very expensive to machine, and therefore is pricey at about $250usd for two of those rings/drums. But will last very long.

Here is a shot of the rear M3 kit with 12.2" x 1.25" rotors.

massivebrakes.com

Comment

So this drum you have machined will bolt into the hat/rotor combo and allow factory shoe type emergency brake setup to work? $250.00 isnt that pricey in regards to a custom BBK designed for race setup to be modded to incorporate an e-brake, parking brake.

Comment

So to clarify, with E30 M3 rear gear, that handbrake ring will work fine or is there an E30 m3 setup in the Massive Catalogue with a handbrake provision?

SILBER COMBAT UNIT DELTA (M-Technic Marshal)
                  RTFM:http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=56950

Comment

The picture depicts what was done for the rear e30 M3 kit. That principle is also used for the rear e30 kit. The same aluminum hat is used for a street and race kit. It adds a steel drum to an aluminum hat/steel rotor combo to keep full functionality of the emergency brake. Contrary to all other BBKs which only have aluminum drums. They are only meant to be used while car is fully stationary. Not to mention that aluminum will wear out pretty quick. The steel ring/drum will last a very long time and can be used in emergency situations while car is moving.

massivebrakes.com

Comment

Originally posted by Massive Lee View Post
                      The picture depicts what was done for the rear e30 M3 kit. That principle is also used for the rear e30 kit. The same aluminum hat is used for a street and race kit. It adds a steel drum to an aluminum hat/steel rotor combo to keep full functionality of the emergency brake. Contrary to all other BBKs which only have aluminum drums. They are only meant to be used while car is fully stationary. Not to mention that aluminum will wear out pretty quick. The steel ring/drum will last a very long time and can be used in emergency situations while car is moving.

sign me up! race kit front and rear!

Lee- i've tried to find willwood parts on that website you listed, but they seam to only offer OEM parts. maybe the deasert heat is making me retarded or something, but i just couldn't find anything. anyways i found that summit racing offered the willwood parts that you list at the top of this thread, have you ordered anything through them?

lastly, what's the difference between E and Q compounds? the car will be driven to and from the ring on the autobahn so it needs to be able to stop on the street, in the rain.
                      My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

Q compound is a ceramic-based pad that is not dusty and very quiet. It offers great friction and can be used on the track. But will not stand the heat as does the E compound.

E compound is an endurance pad with great friction, very smooth on rotors at any temp and offers supperb modulation. Its only drawback is dust. It also squeals a bit when cold, while used on the street. But even when cold, it will not grind rotors and will offer superb friction/torque.

I will aslo test the C compound next month.

In regard on the e30M3 RAlly kit that has been installed on my track M3, I realized this weekend that when pushed very hard (I drive like an animal, on 235.40.17 Toyo RA-1s, and only one or two GT3 will pass me in a weekend), the stock rear brakes will show their weakness and will make the pedal a bit spongy. Clearly, the rear end will start overheating, even with Hawks HT-10.

Most trackers won't see the difference, but racers will. It has confirmed me that a rear kit will be required for racecars. Contrary to what I posted initially, I am revising my plans, in order to offer a better, cheaper, stronger and easier to use product. The rear kit will have thick 300mm x 32mm discs, just as the front ones. Calipers will be the Superlite forged calipers with 1.12" pistons, and pads will be the same as in the front. That way, there is only one set of rotors and pads to bring as spares. It makes racing easier.

The calipers that I initially mentioned (Dynalite, widemount) end up costing a lot (around $200) as only a few are made, while the Superlite is about $150-$170 and is a stiffer piece of equipment.

That new rear kit is very exciting and will cost the same as the front kit. Optional Ebrake "ring" will be around $250usd.

I haven't updated the prices on the website, but expect a major increase due to the US currency having taken a plunge since last Spring. Fron $1.18cdn it is now only $1.05cdn...

Lee
                        Last edited by Massive Lee; 08-23-2007, 08:50 AM.

massivebrakes.com

Comment

that means i'll have to wait till bush is out of office before i order my set. it was only about six years ago that canadian was almost half.
                          Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com
                          My euro 316 project Transaction Feedback

Comment

Hi guys.

Just sent all hats for anodizing. 70 units, from e46M3 14" kits to rear e30 kits. I took a picture of an un-anodized rear e30 hat for 11.75" x 1.25" rotor. The kit will use a Superlite caliper and stainless brackets. Shipping in two weeks. Current price is now $600usd for the rear installation kit. Rear ebrake steel ring will be available in a month, but honestly, that rear kit is mostly aimed at racers and the only rear e30 kit in the world. As far as I know.

Last edited by Massive Lee; 10-11-2007, 03:33 PM.

massivebrakes.com

Comment

OMG....this is awesome. Those stock rear brakes are just embarrasing.

And who uses their e-brake anyway?

Comment

Working...
                              X