Crosshair plates for "Smoked ellipsoid" mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crosshair plates for "Smoked ellipsoid" mod

So you all probably know about the thread on how to convert your E30 ellipsoid headlights to the "smoked" look.
    If you dont, here is a link to the thread:

"smoking" the high beam requires you to cut out intricate baffles out of a thin metal to form the "cross". The thread links to a template that you use as a cutting guide. This is a major pain in the a$s. I tried a bandsaw, hand shears, and a dremel, nothing gave me good results and were WAY TOO time consuming.

So, I converted the template to an Autocad drawing, which now allows me to have these laser or waterjet cut. This is the way to do it because they will turn out ultra-precise, and I wont have to spend 2 hours in front of a bandsaw.

I am getting ready to place an order for the baffles for my headlights and thought I would ask if anyone else would be interested in getting a set. I will be getting them cut out of thin aluminum.
    For a complete set of baffles, it will be $30 shipped.
    PM me if you are interested in getting a set. I want to place the order soon, so act fast.
    thanks
    Last edited by compression; 01-25-2008, 05:37 PM.

I'm in.. PM sent

Comment

im in too... pm on the way!

Comment

OK, the order has been placed. No more PM's.
        I ordered a couple extra sets, so there might be some left over.
        If , in the future, there is a lot of demand for these, I will get another batch cut for you guys, but there has to be at least 10-15 people committed.

I am expecting to receive the parts early next week and I will post an update . At that time, payments will be due. I will PM everyone involved with the details.
        thanks!

Comment

Why aluminum and not thin steel?
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by E30 Groupie View Post
            Why aluminum and not thin steel?
            Aluminum is better.

Comment

They're Done

They are done and they came out purrrfect!
              As you can see they exactly match the templates provided in the R3V pdf document.

I will be PM'ing everone who resonded with payment details and I will start shipping them out immediately.
              If a big demand builds up in the future, I can arrange to do another batch.
              Last edited by compression; 01-25-2008, 05:38 PM.

Comment

So how much did these ended up costing? I seemed to have missed the original post so PM if there are any left.

Comment

wholy crap those are amazing. I'll send payment soon as I get cash. I can pay u now but then I wouldn't be able to eat for a wile lol!! pay day is this wed.

Comment

I'd like a set if you've got extras.

Comment

I would also like a set if there is any extras left.
                      -Frank
                      1987 325is m50nv (schwarz)
                      1990 325is (sterling silber)(sold)
                      2001 525i

Comment

The whole batch has been spoken for. I have about 5 or so people on standby. I will probably do another run, but I dont even want to think about that until this set is all gone and the smoke has settled.
                        I made enough for the original group of interested people. If you have not received a PM confirming your order and the payment details, you are not in that original group.

If anyone from the original group backs out, or does not pay within a reasonable amount of time and keeps stringing me alone, then I will sell whatever sets are left to the people not in the original group.
                        This is not my job, this is just something i did on the side, in my very-scarce free time. I am trying not to break any promises to people.
                        I will update this thread as necessary.

Comment

Guess I didn't make it? You hadn't ordered them yet when I told you to put me down for a set.

Comment

I'd like in on next group buy.

pm sent.

Thank you for your time.
                            -----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Comment

put me in for list 2 please!
                              Build your own dreams, or someone else will hire you to build theirs!

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Working...
                              X