Officially Starting my s50 swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Officially Starting my s50 swap

Hey guys, just introducing myself here for now. I've got a 91 318i in pretty good all around condition as far as I know (which isn't much). I've always loved this car and when i needed to replace my truck last year I figured why not, what's the worst that could happen? ... r3vlimited happened, it was worse than I could ever imagine.

First the audioinstaller1 guy that makes the luke boxes got me hooked reading the audio threads, so I re-did my whole car audio to his recommendations. Yes, the lukebox lives up to the hype. From there I decided I wanted to make this car perfect, that's where we are now. That means replacing all the rubber everything, suspension, brakes, fuel lines, break lines, both rear axles need replacing...

It turns out lot's of stuff needs replacing, so why not just swap in an s50 while I'm in there? Because I have no idea what I'm doing, that's why.

I've replaced my own starters, belts, spark plugs, alternators, brakes... bolt on stuff like that in the past. Youtube and picture tutorials taught me how but I know nothing about cars really, I'm just mechanically inclined and am wiling to figure things out to save money. I do all my own mountain bike work, including rebuilding forks and what not, so I figure I have enough of your prior build threads on here to help me figure out what I need to do.

I'm picking up the engine / trans / harness next week from a buddies parts car and it's going to just sit in my garage for a while. While it's in there I'll be tearing it down and rebuilding it, I'm sure sure I'll end up bribing friends more times than not to come help me fix what I've ruined... but in the mean time I was provided with a surprise trunk full of random parts the previous owner never got around to installing... so I'm hoping for some input. I'll post some pictures of what it is, and you tell me if i need to instal it, or at least tell me what it does? I'll be googling most of this stuff on my own as well, but I don't have all day to read about every part on the car so i'm wanting to section off parts of the car at a time.

My GUIBO needs to be replaced, and the diff mount. That would probably be a good time to replace the axles that need it while I'm down there... what else do I need to do / upgrade at the same time to consolidate my time and resources while getting my car ready to rock after I put the new engine in? This is my daily driver btw. thats why I want to be able to rock out as many items at once every time I need to pull my car apart. Anyways, it's late, I just wanted to get this started, I'll update tomorrow with pictures of all the junk.

Thanks!
Working...
X