Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1988 320i Touring build: E46 M57TUD30 swap

Hello r3v friends,

I'm Jeroen, 21 year old student Automotive Engineering from Belgium and this will be my first post on the forum, stoked!

I drive a grey 1989 320i Touring with a custom 2.7i motor (just under 200hp on the dyno), I also own:
    - purple 1989 320i Touring (had a 2.5i motor swap which I sold),
    - green 1992 316i Touring,
    - black e36 320i convertible,
    - grey 2004 e46 330d,
    - and bought a blue 318i Touring for parts.

As the title of the thread says: I'll be swapping a 201hp 480Nm engine from an e46 330d into an e30.
    There are 3 reasons why I want to complete this swap.
    First, the gas mileage is very poor on my 327i, most of the time I drive through town and get around 15mpg. The M57 has a fuel consumption of around 40mpg or more. Besides diesel is much cheaper here in Belgium than the high octane fuel my 2.7i desires.
    Second, I know that it won't be an easy swap, but I'm doing this to develop my skills and gather knowledge. If I would run into problems, my dad is there to help and I know some BMW mechanics, welders, painters that are willing to give me a hand.
    Last, I want to make this my ultimate roadtrip car, to go on holidays with it or drive it over long distances. When the car is finished my dream is to drive it around the 'Ring with some friends.

So, here are some pictures of my 1988 Touring:
    - Full Mtech interior with black headlining and small Mtech 1 steering wheel, will put the mtech 2 on it from my green 316i Touring.
    - Had an m20b25 with LPG, which is sold already alongside with 15" BBS RA wheels.
    - Has an LSD and lowered with Bilstein suspension.

And the e46 330d I bought in Germany:
    (Better pictures coming)

I payed 3000 usd for both cars in the condition on the pictures.

Mods that I'm want to do aside from the engine swap:
    - 5 Lug setup, already picked up a used front swap from another e30 (with KW coilovers) and Z3 2.8 rear trailing arms.
    - 330d brake upgrade with 330d brake booster. I know someone who has done it but I still need more information about this.
    - E36 steering rack upgrade.
    - Electric rear windows.
    - Respray in dark grey, any other cool colors? let me know!
    - Volvo or IS front lip (or maybe a replica mtech 2 front bumper), edition sideskirts, replica mtech boot spoiler (Does anyone know where I can get this?!)
    - A sunroof would be nice to have, must do some research on it, or would it be possible to have it custom made?

Pictures of my 5 lug swap:
    (No idea why someone sprayed the whole thing in red)

I'm going to start working on the e30 at the beginning of February as I have finals in the next 3 weeks.
    First thing to do will be testfitting the suspension and ordering new rubbers, sanding, painting.
    I will be posting progress updates and pictures as well as answering (/asking :p) questions in this thread.

Couple of questions:
    What parking brake cable do I need for the z3 trailing arms?
    Any Europe websites where I can buy e36 rack parts?
    Is there anyone with experience swapping this engine into an e30?
    Or anyone that is running a 330d brake booster perhaps?

Tips and suggestions welcome! :)

- Jeroen
Working...
X