Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M50 swap (noob)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    M50 swap (noob)

    Hey guys, I am starting my e30 M50b25 swap soon! My m20 died after 14 days, rod knock ): parting out some of the engine for some $$$ for swap parts, m50, and shop labor, working my butt off at work rn lol (I'm only 17 :P) Before I get started and buy an m50 I want to check off if I am missing anything to get.
    • complete m50 (getting mine off e36 obd1 m50b25)
    • e34 525i sump
    • e28 m5/ or 535i rubber engine mounts
    • e36 m50 engine arms
    • Throttle cable ????? (Will stock e30 m20 work?)
    • E30 Gt260 transmission Swap Brace for m50 (found on ebay $50)
    • E30 Engine Harness Swap Adapter M50 (ebay again)
    • Exhaust manifold? (Will stock M50 clear)
    • Brake booster re location?

    Am I missing anything to this? I have a red label ecu that ends with "525", do I get the stock e30 ECU modified or use an e36 ecu, this part is confusing me lol?
    Also links to the two ebay parts, do they seem safe/legit to use? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bmw-E30-Engi...ZVzj1x&vxp=mtr
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E30-Gt26..._FE3Dw&vxp=mtr
    Last edited by e30omar; 02-26-2016, 08:28 PM.
    '99 Aspen silver e39 540i/6 (first car, sold)
    '91 Schwarz e30 325i vert M50 swap(traded)
    '95 Arktis grau e34 530i 5 speed (4.0 swapped, sold)
    '01 Jet black e46 330ci 5 speed (traded)
    '98 Arctic silver e36 328i daily drifter (traded)
    '91 Nissan 240sx s13 hatch ka24de (driftbucket 4sale)
    '89 Bronzit e30 sedan (new project)

    #2
    yup


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Comment


      #3
      Also can someone explain the harness adapters with the ECU? Do I need the ecu from the M50, or just the harness then that plugs into the adapter with my factory ecu???
      Originally posted by f4tj0n View Post
      yup


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Any ideas, and what else is mandatory for the swap? Also what part of the bay are you from ahah
      '99 Aspen silver e39 540i/6 (first car, sold)
      '91 Schwarz e30 325i vert M50 swap(traded)
      '95 Arktis grau e34 530i 5 speed (4.0 swapped, sold)
      '01 Jet black e46 330ci 5 speed (traded)
      '98 Arctic silver e36 328i daily drifter (traded)
      '91 Nissan 240sx s13 hatch ka24de (driftbucket 4sale)
      '89 Bronzit e30 sedan (new project)

      Comment


        #4
        Da east.

        Mandatory is endless amounts of research you need to do man... but to kinda answer your question, no you do not use your stock ecu for the m20.


        Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

        Comment


          #5
          I see you have the e34 oil pan on your list. But make sure you also get the oil pick up tube.

          As for the ECU you need the one that goes with the motor you are using. So like this you have an M50 motor. You will need an M50 engine wiring harness and a M50 ECU. The adapter makes it where the engine harness will plug in the the body harness of the E30 so your gauges, windows and what not will still work.
          Current
          99 328i (Sold)
          91 318is M50B25TU
          89 325ix (Parted out)
          87 325is (Parted out)
          95 525i (Parted Motor for 91 318is)

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by R1dd1ck913 View Post
            I see you have the e34 oil pan on your list. But make sure you also get the oil pick up tube.

            As for the ECU you need the one that goes with the motor you are using. So like this you have an M50 motor. You will need an M50 engine wiring harness and a M50 ECU. The adapter makes it where the engine harness will plug in the the body harness of the E30 so your gauges, windows and what not will still work.
            ahhh yea read about the oil tube and dipstick on the e30zone wiki. And THANK YOU regarding the ecu!!! And will all that wiring will it be plug n play, no special tuning on the ecu or anything needed, just m50 ecu and wiring harnesses into the adapter of the e30?
            '99 Aspen silver e39 540i/6 (first car, sold)
            '91 Schwarz e30 325i vert M50 swap(traded)
            '95 Arktis grau e34 530i 5 speed (4.0 swapped, sold)
            '01 Jet black e46 330ci 5 speed (traded)
            '98 Arctic silver e36 328i daily drifter (traded)
            '91 Nissan 240sx s13 hatch ka24de (driftbucket 4sale)
            '89 Bronzit e30 sedan (new project)

            Comment


              #7
              Save your coin and buy the AKG engine mounts
              And as said above search there is a lot of info on this

              See if you can relocate your thread to m50 sub forum you may have more responses
              Last edited by 36brua; 02-27-2016, 08:59 AM.
              My CA legal M60 swap

              The happening in our garage

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by e30omar View Post
                ahhh yea read about the oil tube and dipstick on the e30zone wiki. And THANK YOU regarding the ecu!!! And will all that wiring will it be plug n play, no special tuning on the ecu or anything needed, just m50 ecu and wiring harnesses into the adapter of the e30?
                You should read, read, and read until you understand the swap. Then come here with specific questions or troubleshooting.

                You need a tune for the ECU to disable the EWS, at the very least. Depending on the engine and ECU, this may be a flash, or a chip, and will likely entail engine management changes as well. Tuning needs are different if you're OBDI converting, using an OBDII ECU, or the engine and ECU were already OBDI.
                -Nick
                sigpic
                1986 325es || 1998 M3 sedan || 2003 330ci

                ~Looking for a left side early tail light, or a set of early tails~

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by fiveightandten View Post
                  You should read, read, and read until you understand the swap. Then come here with specific questions or troubleshooting.

                  You need a tune for the ECU to disable the EWS, at the very least. Depending on the engine and ECU, this may be a flash, or a chip, and will likely entail engine management changes as well. Tuning needs are different if you're OBDI converting, using an OBDII ECU, or the engine and ECU were already OBDI.
                  Aha just saw my thread get revived after a week, and glad to report I have been reading my brains out for the past week lol! I got my self an M50b25tu off of a 95 525i with 150k miles. Ordered engine arms off an e36 from a fellow member here on the forums. Ordered these engine mounts: http://www.ebay.com/itm/E28-Motor-Mo...lWqZ-t&vxp=mtr . Now I need the transmission brace which I am going to order from garagistic. I only have 2 questions left, how can I use a non-ews ECU with all of this, and isn't that the red label 413 I would need? Also I did order a complete engine, I have mostly everything figured out besides the exhaust part. I've read that e36 m3 manifolds work best, but will the stock M50's fit? I am considering buying those ebay replica super sprint headers or race lands but I'm not trying to pay extra to get them modified, whats my best option here hahah? Planning on running everything OBD1
                  '99 Aspen silver e39 540i/6 (first car, sold)
                  '91 Schwarz e30 325i vert M50 swap(traded)
                  '95 Arktis grau e34 530i 5 speed (4.0 swapped, sold)
                  '01 Jet black e46 330ci 5 speed (traded)
                  '98 Arctic silver e36 328i daily drifter (traded)
                  '91 Nissan 240sx s13 hatch ka24de (driftbucket 4sale)
                  '89 Bronzit e30 sedan (new project)

                  Comment


                    #10
                    If the ecu you have is a red label 413 then you are good to go. It does not have EWS. The red label 413 is what I run in my M50 swapped car.
                    Current
                    99 328i (Sold)
                    91 318is M50B25TU
                    89 325ix (Parted out)
                    87 325is (Parted out)
                    95 525i (Parted Motor for 91 318is)

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by e30omar View Post
                      Aha just saw my thread get revived after a week, and glad to report I have been reading my brains out for the past week lol! I got my self an M50b25tu off of a 95 525i with 150k miles. Ordered engine arms off an e36 from a fellow member here on the forums. Ordered these engine mounts: http://www.ebay.com/itm/E28-Motor-Mo...lWqZ-t&vxp=mtr . Now I need the transmission brace which I am going to order from garagistic. I only have 2 questions left, how can I use a non-ews ECU with all of this, and isn't that the red label 413 I would need? Also I did order a complete engine, I have mostly everything figured out besides the exhaust part. I've read that e36 m3 manifolds work best, but will the stock M50's fit? I am considering buying those ebay replica super sprint headers or race lands but I'm not trying to pay extra to get them modified, whats my best option here hahah? Planning on running everything OBD1
                      R1dd1ck913 chimed in on the ECU. I don't know enough about the M50b25tu harness and engine to give you solid advice.

                      But just to confirm, I hope you know those motor mounts you bought are solid and will bring a good amount of vibration with them.
                      -Nick
                      sigpic
                      1986 325es || 1998 M3 sedan || 2003 330ci

                      ~Looking for a left side early tail light, or a set of early tails~

                      Comment


                        #12
                        You do not need to care about EWS in an OBD1 swap e30 build.

                        If you bring me a chassis side e36/e34 motor harness X20 plug and an engine side e30 C101 motor harness plug I can make you an adapter that works.

                        Was your donor car an auto or manual trans?
                        cars beep boop

                        Comment


                          #13
                          update: doing the swap with friends in a garage, friend just finished a 383 build on his 73 camaro and works as a BMW technician and can help me with the swap, also have a bunch of other buddies who want to join and help on this! And will raceland e34 headers fit, or will there need to be adjustments made? Also will the stock M50 fan clutch be good enough or should I go with the electric fan?
                          Originally posted by kronus View Post
                          You do not need to care about EWS in an OBD1 swap e30 build.

                          If you bring me a chassis side e36/e34 motor harness X20 plug and an engine side e30 C101 motor harness plug I can make you an adapter that works.

                          Was your donor car an auto or manual trans?
                          Auto, 95 525i, and when could you do it :) ?
                          '99 Aspen silver e39 540i/6 (first car, sold)
                          '91 Schwarz e30 325i vert M50 swap(traded)
                          '95 Arktis grau e34 530i 5 speed (4.0 swapped, sold)
                          '01 Jet black e46 330ci 5 speed (traded)
                          '98 Arctic silver e36 328i daily drifter (traded)
                          '91 Nissan 240sx s13 hatch ka24de (driftbucket 4sale)
                          '89 Bronzit e30 sedan (new project)

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X