24v Swap.. awnsers i havent found yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

24v Swap.. awnsers i havent found yet.

I am dropping an M50 from an E34 525I into my ETA 84 325 e, and have done a fair bit of reading and have afew last question.

1. with the getrag 260, what do i do with the 2 sensors comming off it, on the M20 there are ports for them to plug in, but none to be found on the M50.
    2. how do i mount the late style expansion tank?
    3. can i use the sheet metal shifter carrier that was in my car?
    4. do i need to bend new brake lines? the IX booster doesnt seem to want to go in without bending the brake lines?

im sure i will have more Q's as a proceed.

Full Build Thread Here

2. how do i mount the late style expansion tank?

Find or buy the plastic bracket that screws onto the fender, the tank just snaps into it (the bracket screws into the fender with a sheet metal screw). ORCA has measurements for where it should go, but you can eyeball it by just putting the tank on the fender. There's a metal loop that goes on the bottom, and there's a tongue on the bottom end of the tank that slides into the loop. I made my own and riveted it on, I know some guys just leave it off - the plastic bracket and the hose supports it pretty well.

4. do i need to bend new brake lines? the IX booster doesnt seem to want to go in without bending the brake lines?

I didn't have a problem with the booster but I had to bend the lines to reach the MC. I also don't have ABS so I had to get a T and bend another line to get the front/rear bias right (I bought the OEM T for the rear junction).

Comment

thanks, i dont have ABS either, so i guess i will need that T peice aswell. and i will just play with it abit more...

i found the little clip for the expansion tank, it was like 1.50 so i ordered it...

Full Build Thread Here

Comment

Originally posted by MattM View Post
        1. with the getrag 260, what do i do with the 2 sensors comming off it, on the M20 there are ports for them to plug in, but none to be found on the M50.
        These are engine reference and speed sensors for the M20 Motronic. You will not need these sensors for the M50.

Originally posted by whysimon
        WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

3. You can use that metal plate shift carrier, you cant really bend it as well as you can the late model one. So it is a bit of a pita to get your shifter anywhere close to center on the topside. But you can use it nonetheless.
          sigpic

Comment

is there plugs i can buy for the sensor holes on the transmission? if so what are there part numbers and/or where can i buy?

Full Build Thread Here

Comment

21 11 1 225 047 x2

Comment

alright, now for tranny mounts, do i use the 320I green or grey mounts?

#2 in this pic?

or #2 in this one?

Also, for mounting the late rad in an early car, what else do i need in this diagram?

i figure 6,7,8,9,10, do i need 12, 15 and 16? i am using the mechanical fan from the M20
                Last edited by MattM; 06-13-2009, 11:15 PM.

Full Build Thread Here

Comment

Green Trans mounts. You need #9, #11, and some zip ties.

Comment

thanks guys. ill order up those parts:)

Full Build Thread Here

Comment

Working...
                    X