first start fail, wire melted, HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

first start fail, wire melted, HELP

Well, i went to try to start my engine today, it attempted to turn over once, then the starter started clicking like crazy, i pulled the key out and it was still clicking like crazy, i ran to the back and pulled the terminals off the battery. When i came back around front there was white smoke seeping out of the main harness(the big black casing) pulled it off and found a brown/yellow wire completely melted. It comes out of a green sleeve that connects afew other wires and heads down under the intake. I havent done anything in that box, so its all still factory. HELP!

Full Build Thread Here

Dont know why you had the smoke but you have the two smaller starter wires on reversed so you are getting a constant instead of a switched via key signal, hopefully you didnt burn up the starter.

Comment

i traced the melted wire and it was comming from the oil sensor, the starter didnt start to go until i hit the key, it just wouldnt stop when i pulled the key out.

Full Build Thread Here

Comment

oil preasure or oil level?

you didnt attach your reverse light wires to the engine did you?

Comment

got the car running yesterday, here is what i did,

I for some reason thought that pin 1 on the engine side of the harness was oil level, which is wrong, pin 2 is oil level and pin 1 is 12v power for something(running off the starter circuit). So basically my starter was trying to suck the power to start it through the oil level sensor and a 14 gauge wire.... I cut my connection to pin one, and the car runs great, so i just need to hook it inot pin 2 and im all good!

91 E34 525I btw

Full Build Thread Here

Comment

Working...
          X