Quiet Muffler suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quiet Muffler suggestions

I've never had to build a quiet exhaust, so I don't know what muffler to use.
    I'm going to be dropping an s50b32 into my brother's e30 318is. We don't want any attention from the cops, so we want the exhaust to be quiet. Like almost stock sounding.

We are planning on running a single 3" exhaust pipe all the way back. What muffler, or mufflers should we use.

Thanks

Erik

just get a full stock e36 m3 setup...
    www.classicdaily.net
    1970 m42 swapped 2002
    1985 LS1/T56 Swapped e28 (557e)

www.blunttech.com - For all your parts needs

Follow me on Instagram for constant build updates @classicdaily
    https://www.facebook.com/ClassicDailyLLC

Comment

I have the same set up but I am using a remus muffler for a e30. It sounds really good! and isnt really loud till wot.

www.gutenparts.com
      One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

How about a big resonator 24" and then a normal muffler should work.

Comment

Originally posted by jakeb View Post
          just get a full stock e36 m3 setup...
          We want to keep it a single pipe all the way back. The headers have already been modified with a Y-pipe and he wants to keep a single exhaust tip because that's how 318s are.

Plus, the stock e36 muffler is too small. The Euro s50b32 used larger diameter pipes.

I'm just trying to find out what brand to look for to find a generic 3" muffler that does a really good job of quieting. We'll probably end up running two mufflers.

Originally posted by surebimmer View Post
          How about a big resonator 24" and then a normal muffler should work.
          Would you recommend using a resonator + muffler, or just two mufflers?

Erik

Comment

I'm thinking about a big resonator on the M3. Right now all I have is the supertrapp muffler and its loud. I'm also running straight 3 inch all the way back. I saw the big 30" long resonator in MAZUR's turbo build thread, so maybe he can chime in.

Comment

Originally posted by surebimmer View Post
              I'm thinking about a big resonator on the M3. Right now all I have is the supertrapp muffler and its loud. I'm also running straight 3 inch all the way back. I saw the big 30" long resonator in MAZUR's turbo build thread, so maybe he can chime in.
              Just found this 29" glasspack on Summit. Might use that along with another muffler.

Free Shipping - Flowtech Purple Hornie Collector Mufflers with qualifying orders of $109. Shop Collector Mufflers at Summit Racing.

Erik

Comment

I'm going to use a Thermal Research & Development muffler on my swap. I had one on my Z31 back in the day and it wasn't too loud and sounded great. And it was one of the little round canisters.

The one I bought now is 18" x 8" oval, so I'm hoping it will be quiet.
                Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
                Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com

Comment

My goal was to get a quiet exhaust using 2.5" OD pipe, and use the stock cutout in the 318is rear valance. This required an offset/offset muffler. The largest muffler that I could fit back there was pretty much the Magnaflow 14577, a 2.5" in/out 5"x11"x22" muffler.

Upstream I used an Aero Turbine AR25 4" round, 14" length resonator, with a 200 cpsi Metalcat (available from JC Whitney).

The car is still loud and low-pitched. Hahaha. I think I'm going to go with a larger center resonator--most likely a muffler that has a larger volume than the AR25, which I feel does nearly nothing except to cancel certain annoying frequencies.

The 3" offset/offset 5x11x22 muffler from Magnaflow is the 14578.

Originally posted by whysimon
                  WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Hey Erik, did you guys modified the Y-pipe on the euro headers? or did you have a shop do it? I need a Y pipe for mine. I'll be building a 3" all the way out as well.
                    Here's a link that Jordan posted on BF, of his set up. I'll most likely go with that.
                    There's a sound clip as well.

Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.
                    Danny

88 ///M3 - Zinno street/shop queen
                    88 ///M3 - Henna Track rat (Sold)
                    98 ///M3 hellrot - Sold
                    89 Porsche 944 - dd
                    95 E34 525it/pick up - P/U Project
                    90 325is - track rat

Comment

Originally posted by Schneller 3er View Post
                      Hey Erik, did you guys modified the Y-pipe on the euro headers? or did you have a shop do it? I need a Y pipe for mine. I'll be building a 3" all the way out as well.
                      Here's a link that Jordan posted on BF, of his set up. I'll most likely go with that.
                      There's a sound clip as well.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...hlight=exhaust
                      The headers were already modified when we got the motor. It's not the cleanest y-pipe, but it'll do the job.

Erik

Comment

3" will be loud unless you restrict the shit out of it with big resonators/mufflers. I had 3" as my original setup with a 24" accelerator truck series muffler in the center, along with my 3 " Vibrant at the end. Here is the clip:

Exhaust components: 3" piping + 3" Vibrant high-flow cat + 24" Accelerator Truck Series Muffler + 3" Vibrant Street Power Muffler

I'd say a 4 chamber flowmaster or a large spintech, with a large glasspack in the middle wouldn't be too bad.
                        Check out Undr8d Empire on Facebook: www.facebook.com/Undr8dEmpireLlc

INSTAGRAM: @UNDR8D_EMPIRE

Scarlet V2 - #Project333Ti by @castromotorsport, @kingsautobodyshop, @bimmerheads, @hardmotorsport, @excel_motorsports & @mateomotorsports - http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=371356

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Originally posted by FredK View Post
                          My goal was to get a quiet exhaust using 2.5" OD pipe, and use the stock cutout in the 318is rear valance. This required an offset/offset muffler. The largest muffler that I could fit back there was pretty much the Magnaflow 14577, a 2.5" in/out 5"x11"x22" muffler.

Upstream I used an Aero Turbine AR25 4" round, 14" length resonator, with a 200 cpsi Metalcat (available from JC Whitney).

The car is still loud and low-pitched. Hahaha. I think I'm going to go with a larger center resonator--most likely a muffler that has a larger volume than the AR25, which I feel does nearly nothing except to cancel certain annoying frequencies.

The 3" offset/offset 5x11x22 muffler from Magnaflow is the 14578.

do you have a sound clip?
                          84 318I Delphin RIP
                          87 325IS delphin 24v Sold
                          89 325 Alpineweiss

Comment

Originally posted by e30polak View Post
                            3" will be loud unless you restrict the shit out of it with big resonators/mufflers. I had 3" as my original setup with a 24" accelerator truck series muffler in the center, along with my 3 " Vibrant at the end. Here is the clip:

Exhaust components: 3" piping + 3" Vibrant high-flow cat + 24" Accelerator Truck Series Muffler + 3" Vibrant Street Power Muffler

I'd say a 4 chamber flowmaster or a large spintech, with a large glasspack in the middle wouldn't be too bad.
                            I have a 3in midsestion and its not loud at all.

www.gutenparts.com

Comment

I bought my car with some ebay exhaust, it sounds pretty good but i have been pulled over for "loud muffler" it was a lady cop and i told her she is not giving me enough credit its a full cat-back... She then asked me what a cat-back was.

Comment

Working...
                              X