Differences between chips...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Differences between chips...

How much difference is there between the chips for a non EWS 325 and the M3?

While I'm trying to figure out what to do with my knock sensor CEL gremlin, I'd like to be able to at least drive the car around without too much worry.

Can I do this on the 325 chip or shoud I get an M3 chip to be safe. Mind you I'm not going to go blasting around, just want to drive it sometimes.

you can drive it with the 325i chip, but i really wouldnt do it unless you are just moving it out of the garage etc.
    -Alex

Comment

Your car will run like shit, but you should be able to get it to drive. Big difference in the chips, but by an aftermarket one if you need an m3 one anyways.
      Check out Undr8d Empire on Facebook: www.facebook.com/Undr8dEmpireLlc

INSTAGRAM: @UNDR8D_EMPIRE

Scarlet V2 - #Project333Ti by @castromotorsport, @kingsautobodyshop, @bimmerheads, @hardmotorsport, @excel_motorsports & @mateomotorsports - http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=371356

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

It will run just fine as a temporary solution. I recommend a chip from The Racers Market.

Comment

OK I've driven the car for a couple of days with a stock E36 325is DME. Drove about 200 miles, freeway, mountains, city.

Starts and seems to run OK, power seems fine, although I haven't really flogged it yet. Did a couple of 65-90 5th gear roll ons and it pulls pretty good.

Idle speed is a little low for the lightweight flywheel so the trans rattles at idle with clutch out.

NO CEL's have shown up.

So I guess bottom line is the stock 413 Red Label can be driven on if you just need to get from point A to point B.

Comment

call me a noob if you want, but are you speaking of after market chips or am i gonna have something done with mime cause i'm runnin a 92 non vanos M50 non EWS out of an e36 325is
            Need Custom spacers and adapters?

PM for information

Comment

Originally posted by e30Rob View Post
              call me a noob if you want, but are you speaking of after market chips or am i gonna have something done with mime cause i'm runnin a 92 non vanos M50 non EWS out of an e36 325is
              Don't worry about your set-up.
              The OP is talking about running a M3 engine with a non-M chip.

While we are on the subject ...what is the big deal ? This has been known forever or so I though.
              All the M3 chip does is change the fuel/spark parameters. (for the most part)

E30 M3 / E30 325is / E34 525iT / E34 535i

Comment

Originally posted by Teaguer View Post
                Don't worry about your set-up.
                The OP is talking about running a M3 engine with a non-M chip.
                Oh ok that explains why i was confused then, sorry kinda new (hence hoobish) to the BMW world.
                Need Custom spacers and adapters?

PM for information

Comment

That's what I thought, but no one really was able to give me a definiitive answer.

As for the TMR chip, that's what I'm having problems with. Ran the car for 6 months on the chip, ran fine. Had a new vanos unit installed, now get a CEL for rear knock sensor. NO ONE (shop that did vanos install, Dr Vanos guys, Treehouse, etc) can figure out why that would make the knock code come up. TMR sent me another chip, same result.

Stock 413 red label, no CEL. TMR chipped 413 red label, knock CEL comes on, stays on, at 1800 rpm, everytime.

Comment

Working...
                  X