Getrag to Zf swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getrag to Zf swap

What are the parts needed to switch from a getrag 260 to zf transmission in S52 E30. I broke 2 new flex disks in 2 months and i don't feel the tranny has much life left so I want to start collecting parts for a zf swap.

thanks

Flex discs? Guibos? When you say flex disk I think automatic transmission....

I haven't done it myself, but at the least you'd probably need a different driveshaft (something about a reversed CSB), not sure what you've done to mount the G260 but you'll obviously need the ZF mounts, and probably the shifter linkage. If you've got a Z3 1.9 shifter for the G260, that's pretty much the same as the E36 M3 shifter, so you can stick with that. I'm sure you can adapt the ZF reverse switch to the E30 harness, if it's necessary.

That's all I know, I'll let someone else chime in with the rest.

Comment

Sorry Guibos.
      I have an s52 flywheel, starter, stock E30 crossmember . i know i need a zf clutch, guibo, tranny, shift linkage. I don't what drive shaft or any other various parts I may need.

Comment

you will need the complete transmission with shifter, a stock E30 transmission bracket, E21 mounts, and try to get the driveshaft from the car the transmission came from, that is the easiest way, and yes you will need to install the E30 CSB on that driveshaft. i got a driveshaft from a 98 328i, pretty sure any car that came with that transmission and had teh 4 bolt diff will work. ZF reverse switch is just the 2 prong M50 style connector, i had a spare kicking around and made a connector, used the prong from the 260 and one of my spares and plugged it in.. took 5 minutes..

E30 clutch works fine with ZF tranny. i used a sachs E30 clutch with my ZF320 and its fine

i had the same gut feeling as you, the day after i put my engine in i started second guessing my choice to use a 30 year old transmission in my car.. afew days later i had an excuse to pull the engine again(another story), so i did the swap and am happy i did, the ZF feels SO smooth shifting and driving compared to the 260.
        Last edited by MattM; 10-28-2009, 11:25 PM.

Full Build Thread Here

Comment

You may still be able to use the M20 starter/flywheel/clutch with the ZF. Not sure on that.

From a purely performance perspective the M20B25 flywheel is the way to go, maybe get it shaved down while it's out.

Comment

Im planning on using my m20 ltw fly and clutch when i swap over..

had a question though, on the shifter i was under the impression to use the e30 stuff. I was going to use a z3, but do I have to use the e36 linkage?
            I was planning on getting a dssr, so i guess i need to know about the linkage before i order that

sorry for the thread jack, but you could probly use the info also...
            Thanks

Comment

if you use the m20b25 fly wheel do you still use the M20 starter? And will any E36 drive shaft work and do you have to turn the E30 CSB backwards.

Comment

im running an m52 with the m20 starter and m20 fly now, with the 260...

mine is also tired, Im switching to the zf

Ill be using a 328is driveshaft with the e30 csb on backwards, mine isnt bolted up yet so i cant say how well it works, only info off of the forum...

Comment

Code:
                  e30 csb on backwards
                  no one is really sure on this, mine is on backwards, driveshaft is NOT perfectly straight, but i have not had any vibration issues. It looks like it would br straight if you put the CSB on normal orientation, but i have also heard that doesnt work..... So yeah... LOL too much effort to change mine around when i have no negative effects how it is.. why fix what aint broke..

Full Build Thread Here

Comment

Originally posted by kevmo707 View Post
                    if you use the m20b25 fly wheel do you still use the M20 starter? And will any E36 drive shaft work and do you have to turn the E30 CSB backwards.
                    Yes, you've got to match the starter to the flywheel.

Comment

I will tell you my setup and I hope it helps.

M50 w/ m20 flywheel, m20 clutch, m20 starter,e36 m3 slave cylinder, m3 guibo/flex disc, e30 325is center bearing, custom drive shaft--- transmission side is from e36 m3 manual, differential side is e30 325is. I brought those 2 drive shafts to the shop, gave them all the measurements and they welded and balanced them together.

And there you have it. Have fun!

Edit: NO backwards CSB or anything strange. It was all pretty straight forward. I have also hear a 328i ds bolts right up, same with an E30 M3 ds, but who knows... I got the 6 bolt e36 m3 ds for free!

Comment

are you using the 36 shifter linkage?

Comment

E36 m3 shifter carrier and shift rod. But a special shortened e30 325is shifter, not even sure if it made my throw any shorter but ehh whatever.

Oh forgot to mention stock transmission brace and mounts will bolt the ZF right up perfectly.

Comment

ok, so i have to get all of the e36 linkage stuff, and use an e30 shifter?

Thanks

Comment

You need any 96+ 328/m3 manual driveshaft. You must use the e30 CSB, can't remember if mine is backwards.
                              Check out Undr8d Empire on Facebook: www.facebook.com/Undr8dEmpireLlc

INSTAGRAM: @UNDR8D_EMPIRE

Scarlet V2 - #Project333Ti by @castromotorsport, @kingsautobodyshop, @bimmerheads, @hardmotorsport, @excel_motorsports & @mateomotorsports - http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=371356

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Working...
                              X