e36 Airbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

e36 Airbox

So, i was doing some searching on an airbox for my m50 swap (in progress by white325is) and i know the e34 airbox fits with some modding. which i probably plan to do....but the e36 airbox looks more modern.

has anyone used the e36 box instead?

thanks!

Not mine, and I don't know anything about making it fit. Looks nice though

Comment

Nice. ABS delete maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by Wh33lhop View Post
        Nice. ABS delete maybe?
        has to be..,could'nt get mine to fit,without major mod.
        NASA
        BMWCCA member
        PCA member 25yrs

1991 318IS slick top
        1997 M3 sedan
        2001 325CI DD

“whoever turns the wheel the least, wins"

Comment

that was the pic i saw....i want to figre that out. it looks awesome

Comment

Thats my car!

I will send a bigger reply tomorrow. Quick run down.

Need to have no ABS.
            Trim the bottom of the airbox mount thingy.
            Tilt 90 Elbow up slight amount.

Detailed pics tomorrow.
            Past Car : E30 S50 6 Speed 5 Lug 3.73
            Current : Z3 S50 OBD2 (Smog Legal) 6 Speed BBS RN Dual Ear Diff
            Julian 848-248-8029

Comment

please more detail!

Comment

Subscribed!

AUTOMOTIVE PHOTOGRAPHY │ JASONTBARKER.COM

Comment

jrdeamicis, got those pics and info? I too like the stock look. Went and bought the box, and it looks like part of the old air box bracket thing-y will have to be removed. Would like to see what You did before I start to hack it apart.This does seem like the best way to go if you dont have (ABS). It solves the hot air problem and cleans up the engine bay,and gives you the option to install the water hose to air box for start up heat .Thanks up front for the info .

Comment

I did this with my latest car

No ABS, its just not going to happen with a pump down there!

I used an M30 airbox on my last car with ABS fitted, my inlet temps are now up to 10°C cooler as the E36 box has a huge intake hole directly behind the headlights :D

Comment

Thanks DanThe for the pics, That looks very good. Did You fab thr bracket or is that stock? I installed mine as well and this thing is the heck-a- cool. Like the way it should be from the start. I am amazed at how much quieter it is in the engine bay. So there is at least 5 positive things that one could benefit from this upgrade. 1, Looks good( + for the cal ref we have to go see after swap ) if one were to go that route.2, water hook up option for start up heat. 3, drop in the engine heat to intake air.4, cleans up the engine bay.5, better filtered air into motor,yes some may say paper filter is not all that,and thats cool . I was also able to cut down the plastic snorkel thing-y in front of the air box and make it go into the small space ,to the side of the light for even more clean air.

Comment

The bracket is made from some manifold supports, pretty simple really

Comment

Originally posted by DanThe View Post
                          I did this with my latest car

No ABS, its just not going to happen with a pump down there!

I used an M30 airbox on my last car with ABS fitted, my inlet temps are now up to 10°C cooler as the E36 box has a huge intake hole directly behind the headlights :D

is there a difference between mafs? my s52 is obd1 converted and i have seen 2 different versions. there is this version where it resembles a plate on the side of the maf housing, and then the kind i have where the connector appears to point straight into the maf housing. i am assuming they are interchangeable. anybody know for sure?

Comment

They are NOT interchangeable. The one with the "plate" is an OBD2 MAF and the one with the connector coming straight out is OBD1.

Comment

ah i gotcha. my connector wouldnt even plug into that one then. and looking at it now i see that he has the obd 2 harness with the seperate ignition coil harness and o2 sensor connectors by the fuel rail.

Comment

Working...
                              X