Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M20 flywheel, clutch, starter in S52/zf set up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M20 flywheel, clutch, starter in S52/zf set up?

Im about to replace the getrag trans in my s52 swap, and I heard you can still use the m20 flywheel, clutch, starter with the S52/zf set up. Is the true? I dont want to pull the trans and come to find out you cannot, and wait on parts while the vehicle is down.

thanks

kevin

I dont see why not, i have an M50 flywheel with M20 clutch with a ZF320, so the only difference for you would be the flywheel, which doesnt affect the tranny, you wil need the 15mm pilot bearing though.

Full Build Thread Here

Comment

is there a reason why you are swapping trannies? you also have to consider the driveshaft in this case.
      No more e30s for me.
      88 black BMW OBDII 332is dedicated track [sold]
      88 BMW OBDII bronzit 332is [RIP 03/08]
      91 BMW 325i [sold]
      86 Corolla 'Ae86' HB 20v trd [sold]
      http://youtube.com/watch?v=pTj7Hn9v5Rs

Comment

I keep breaking guibos. I have the drive shaft I need already. I really just want to know if the m20 starter and flywheel setup will work with the s52/zf set up.

Comment

Yes, it will work. The general rule in this case is, match the clutch and the starter to the flywheel you are using.

Comment

Very interested in this. I'm about to do a ZF trans in an m50 application with an m20 single mass flywheel. A few of the posts I've read mention the Euro e21 323i release bearing to compensate for the difference in flywheel thickness of the dual mass vs. the single mass, but those posts refer to a Getrag gearbox. Is this an absolute necessity? Do I need to source the aforementioned e21 bearing to run an m20 single mass flywheel between an m50/ZF trans?

As a side question...MattM, you said you're running an m50 (dual mass?) flywheel with an m20 (I assume sprung?) clutch?

Comment

MattM, you said you're running an m50 (dual mass?) flywheel with an m20 (I assume sprung?) clutch?
              Correcto! Dual mass M50 flywheel, M20 sach clutch(it is exactly the same, worldpac say its the same part for the E36, and E30)
              M20 throwout, M20 fork, E36 clutch slave, M50 starter, M50 pilot bearing

works like a charm. pedal is a little on the soft side, but i dont mind it:)

Full Build Thread Here

Comment

Thank God I found this post. I know its old, but not one soul could answer this question untill now. Thanks Matt M.
                Many soldiers go unknown.... You will never be forgotten SSG. Matt Mauphin, SPC. Juan S. Restrepo and all past and to come

Comment

Originally posted by LouieD View Post
                  Very interested in this. I'm about to do a ZF trans in an m50 application with an m20 single mass flywheel. A few of the posts I've read mention the Euro e21 323i release bearing to compensate for the difference in flywheel thickness of the dual mass vs. the single mass, but those posts refer to a Getrag gearbox. Is this an absolute necessity? Do I need to source the aforementioned e21 bearing to run an m20 single mass flywheel between an m50/ZF trans?
                  I'm about to swap s52/zf320 into my e30 and my plan is to use m20 single mass flywheel, m20 clutch and PP. I know I have to use e36 slave cylinder and pilot bearing, but what about throw out bearing??? e36 zf? m20? or 323i?
                  Please help... thanks
                  "i love vee tek, its a wonderful sound when you driving right by it"

If you bought anything from me, please leave a feedback here: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...ghlight=drulle

Comment

Originally posted by drulle View Post
                    I'm about to swap s52/zf320 into my e30 and my plan is to use m20 single mass flywheel, m20 clutch and PP. I know I have to use e36 slave cylinder and pilot bearing, but what about throw out bearing??? e36 zf? m20? or 323i?
                    Please help... thanks
                    I used the m20 tob that came with my m20 clutch kit.

Comment

Can anyone else confirm that you can use a standard e30 TOB in this setup?
                      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

I've had a 323i and a 325i TOB side by side for my 323i flywheel setup and I saw no difference whatsoever.

Comment

I have a 323 flywheel as well in my 24v 260 setup. Looking to swap to a ZF soon though but I want to stay with the 323 flywheel. Did you end up with a zf in yours?
                          Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

I used standard throw out bearing (well the one that came with the 325i clutch kit) on my m20 single mass flywheel and clutch. On G220 / G250 depending on where you are from!

Comment

For my S50/ZF I used an M20 FW, PP, Clutch Disk, and TOB. Slave and Pilot Bearing are e36M. Hope it works. lol

Comment

Working...
                              X