Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does this look like a rebuilt motor to you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does this look like a rebuilt motor to you?

As some of you know; I have been on the search of a mystery leak. I think I found it (with some help :)), and it might be an interesting thread since it seems like a rare ???rebuilt S50??? occurence. Look at the pics.

This is what my engine bay looks like now.

Look between the block and the timing chain cover above where the H2o pump attaches... see that thing that looks like a detaching gasket. Thats what I think it is, and thats what I think caused the leak. Quite mysterious huh? Probably wasnt a HG issue at all.

Close up

So this motor is supposed to have less than 14k on it. Would piston 1 look like this within that mileage? Funny *ahem*Fishy*ahem, cough* thing is, the valves on the head above piston 1 do not look like they have damage from the collision (I will have to post that pic tomorrow since I forgot to take that pic).

More of the piston damage.

input time.

Moneyshifted.

Comment

I agree with Brandon.

Comment

Dan1el2kay8th agrees with me.

Comment

I don't understand lolololol

Comment

What does moneyshifted mean. I just found out that the motor was rebuilt using used pistons that were machine tested.

Comment

They went from 5th to 2nd instead of 5th to 4th and over revved the engine.

Comment

Ok, thats what I thought.

Comment

$shifted engine.
                  The head was replaced and it was buttoned back up.
                  The question is... Did they check the rods?

m

Comment

yes, seems like it floated a valve during its previous life. aside from that fact, there is almost no carbon deposited on cyl#1. what little is there would be an indication water is being ingested during combustion. since cylinder#6 looks that way too, i assume you also have a water leak there as well. i think you need to check the straightness of your head and block. as mentioned above, it looks like someone probably had the engine apart and just slapped a head gasket on without checking to see if it needs machine work. you may have some lower end damage at cylinder #1 and since you have it half way apart, i would go to the trouble to check it. however, since the indentation on the piston looks relatively minor, it is probably ok. i would spin the engine over 180 degrees so cyl#1 is at bottom dead center and thoroughly inspect the cylinder wall. if you don't see any odd wear marks or scratches, that would be a really good sign. getting back to the head.... if that valve looks at all compromised you will need to have your head thoroughly checked as well. at a minimum, replace the cyl #1 valve if it looks like the one that hit the piston. the valve seat is probably jacked up too.

at the very least, (in reading what you are saying above) i don't think the seller was very honest with you when he sold you this engine. some people can be real douche bags. i would go back to where the engine came from and kick that guy in the balls.
                    Last edited by flyboyx; 01-20-2010, 08:21 AM.
                    sigpic
                    Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                    92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                    88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                    88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                    87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                    12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

As I understand it now... They put in used pistons from the rebuild. As far as water and carbon marks on the pistons, you are right, there was water in the oil due to a leak of what we think is the timing chain cover gasket (pic 2 and 3). Water would leak outside of the block once the engine got warm and was probably also leaking into the oil system since the oil filter housing and oil pan is all right there. The was plenty of milky oil when we flushed the oil.

This is what I am going to do. I am going to check the head for any warps at a machine shop; Take out the timing chain cover gasket and replace that; as well as replace the head and exhaust manifold gaskets.

The car never overheated as far as my time owning it, and before I got into having this motor pulled apart, the car idled extremely smoothly and well. Its just that it had a wierd leak and would slowly overheat past half.

Flyboy: I think you are right that piston one is not going to cause problems with that minimal damage, and as far as the valves, they look very fresh with no sign of impact. Also, the cylinder walls of 2,3,4,and 5 look freshly crosshatched. Ill get pics of those later.

Comment

Update: Head is off and got it checked. It did not need resurfacing. Timing chain cover off. Oil pan is going to come off. The car is basically just suspension and a block. Anything I can do maintainence/performance (other than gaskets and head bolts) while my motor sits like this? And Cams are too much for me, and I think I already have S52 headers.

Comment

I don't see any brushes or magnets..... haha

ENGINE!
                          1985 325e 2.8 Turbo VEMS

Comment

Originally posted by graphikg View Post
                            Update: Head is off and got it checked. It did not need resurfacing. Timing chain cover off. Oil pan is going to come off. The car is basically just suspension and a block. Anything I can do maintainence/performance (other than gaskets and head bolts) while my motor sits like this? And Cams are too much for me, and I think I already have S52 headers.
                            Nothing that requires having the head off that you can't replace later.

96+ Retainers is all I can think of..
                            Stg 2 Dr. Vanos
                            Past Car : E30 S50 6 Speed 5 Lug 3.73
                            Current : Z3 S50 OBD2 (Smog Legal) 6 Speed BBS RN Dual Ear Diff
                            Julian 848-248-8029

Comment

Originally posted by SamE30e View Post
                              I don't see any brushes or magnets..... haha

ENGINE!
                              I see what you did. there.. ;)

m

Comment

Working...
                              X