coolant issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

coolant issue

first of all its a vanos m50 with a stewart water pump and 318 radiator. so heres the issue...when the engine is cold the coolant level is at the middle mark, when the engine is hot the level raises almost to the top. i think it started when i put in the new water pump. a shop bleed the system. still air in it? whats causing this? normal? hopefully someone knows. thanks.
    sigpic

Well usually when things get hot they expand. Which is exactly what your coolant is doing when you drive it around.

Are there any leaks? or do you have to add coolant every now and then?? If not then you are fine, and your collants is doing exactly what its supposed to.
    My previous build (currently E30-less)
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Originally posted by MR E30 325is View Post
      Well usually when things get hot they expand. Which is exactly what your coolant is doing when you drive it around.
      just doesnt seem plausible that coolant would expand that much.
      sigpic

Comment

beleive it or not it does. hell in my car the reervoir is less than 1/4 full cold and completely full when hot. i have ripped the m20 and m30 apart several times 10+ but still have no clue how the coolant system works, i just know it does and thats all that matters. frankly i think the gremlins live there and carry little tiny buckets of coolant throughout my engine, and everytime i work on the engine a few escape and hide in the electrical system. lol only way to explain some of the quirks lol

Comment

yup this is perfectly normal, if you fill the tank up to much it will just spill the extra out throught the vent hose in the cap...

Full Build Thread Here

Comment

thanks guys! its just that i noticed it recently and wondered why its doing that. my 323i and former eta never did it.
            sigpic

Comment

That's why it's called an 'expansion tank' ;)

A friend of mine has a car that never has pressure in the coolant system, all three of my cars do when at operating temp. I think it's because his is an old diesel engine that has a large amount of collant in it that can never really be warmed up as much.

Comment

Working...
              X