I am curious about engine rebuild costs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am curious about engine rebuild costs

So, I have this s50 with 75k miles on it that I don't know a lot about. I have to pull the head and I am thinking about having it redone. I have some cams to put in it as well. Someone said have it ported and polished. I guess I am just curious what this could cost.

I also have to change out the oil pan as well. If it is going to be this far apart, I feel like I should have everything done that I can afford. Again, I just not sure what are the possibilities and the possible cost. Like bearings, rings, hone, etc.

Anyone had any of these things done recently? Any thoughts on getting the most bang for the buck? Any recommendations on what to have done or where to get the work done? I am in Washington state, a little north of Seattle. Anyone have experience with machine shops in the area? I am talking with a local shop tomorrow, but don't have anything to compare cost wise.

Any advice or recommedations would be appreciated,

KJ

New gaskets and normal wear and tear items and install the engine. Rebuild or Overhaul, neither mileage is not high to bother yet.
    https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

I paid $900 just in bottom end PARTS. That was mainly just bearings and bolts.

You're going to have a million "While I was in there" moments... for me it was 11:1 CP pistons (another $1k), then top end was cams, lifters, vac stage 2 rebuid blah blah

Really comes down to how much of the labor you're going to do yourself, and how much you want to beef it up "while you're in there" so you don't ever have to open it up again.

btw, don't waste your time with port and polish unless you're going FI

If you're really curious.. search my name and check my f/s thread - if I'm not mistaken I have a lot of the cost's right next to the rebuild items I listed.

Good luck bro. It can be a real f'n headache.

Comment

Originally posted by MIKe30 View Post
        You're going to have a million "While I was in there" moments...
        Yep! I was going to just regasket my motor (97k miles)...and now its getting 8.5:1 wiseco pistons, eagle rods, all new bearings and rings, heads getting completely re-furbished and im slapping a Garrett gt35r on it

Comment

+1 It's so true BMW= $$$ if you open anything up.
          Same for me as the others, new pistons=$750 lifters= $400 machine work and assembly = $1200 it adds up fast.
          I had 170k on the motor when I bought it so it was time. If the motor only had 75k on it ,I would have just stayed on the outside of the motor for new parts.
          As the others have said, if you go into the motor be prepared to spend some coin.

Comment

Working...
          X