24v Clutch Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

24v Clutch Discussion Thread

I am in the market to purchase a clutch for my swap. So I thought a thread to go over what motor, trans, flywheel, clutch and engine mods you were using and a review/cost/durability of the clutch you chose. I have some options on my table and looking for recommendations.

M52 OBD1
    Intake/Exhaust/Headers
    Aasco 8lb Flywheel for M52
    ZF320 Transmission

According to Aasco the 96-99 328i/c/s has a single part number. So I am going to have to use one of those. Waiting to hear back from friend about Southbend. Also considering a Sachs HD if available. Anyone else running something and happy? Unhappy? Plan is to rock it, wait for deal on S/C so keep that in mind.

Post up your info and review if you please as well.

I was running--

S52 OBD1
    OBD-1 intake, 3.5 MAF, Supersprint Reps
    Fidanza 10.5 lb Flywheel for S52
    ZF320 Transmission
    Sachs OEM clutch and pressure plate

If the car hooked up too well the clutch would slip a tiny bit. I could slip the clutch a bit and 'feather' the throttle up to about 15 mph then go WOT and have full traction with a pretty mean launch (until I cooked the diff). I wish I had invested in the Sach's HD stuff. I think that would have been a huge improvement and still been completely streetable.

Comment

That is how I feel. I LOVED my E36 M3 Sachs HD. Power could hold 300hp and was very stout. Many shop cars were built to track with stock motors for stock series. Worked very well. Waiting to hear how much for Southbend. I would like to be able to pound on the clutch if I want to.

Thanks for adding to the thread. Exactly what I was looking for.

Comment

I've got a UUC flywheel with the OEM E34 M5 clutch. Love it.

Comment

Euro 323i single mass flywheel lightened to 11.4lbs
          M20 clutch disk
          Sach's pressure plate

It's never slipped on me, I think they sent me the wrong pressure plate because my clutch is realllllly stiff.

On a M50B25
          Last edited by SamE30e; 03-19-2010, 06:52 PM.
          1985 325e 2.8 Turbo VEMS

Comment

Sam. I assume on M50?

Comment

m50
              m20 single mass flywheel shaved down
              stock eta tranny with e30 m3 sach clutch.
              sigpic

Comment

stock dual mass s52 flywheel, with a six puck metallic clutch and heavy duty pp. purchased off ebay. can't remember the brand, but you could search it. said to withstand about 500hp. very happy with it. hooks up real nice clark! most builders don't recommend aluminum flywheels for the street because the bolts apparently have a tendency to back out over time(even with locktite i'm told) and other reasons. if you have an unlimited budget, go whole hog. otherwise save your money on the flywheel and spend it on the clutch/pp.
                sigpic
                Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

OBD-I S52
                  Getrag 260
                  13lb M20 flywheel

Had a local company build me a heavy duty M20 clutch capable of reliably holding 300lb ft of tq.

Lightened flywheel/resurface, disc/pp/throwout bearing/alignment tool = $275

Unless you are planning on turbo/supercharger or something, I see no reason to drop the money on the M5 clutch setup or anything else that extreme.
                  Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
                  Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
                  One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

Originally posted by z31maniac View Post
                    Unless you are planning on turbo/supercharger or something, I see no reason to drop the money on the M5 clutch setup or anything else that extreme.
                    That's what I thought, but my OEM setup never seemed 100% when I really loaded it up.

Comment

What tires were you running to get your clutch to slip?

'89 Alpine S52 with goodies

Comment

Sachs on my E36 M3 with up to 255s would always smoke over tires even if side stepping in first. On an e30 it shouldn't slip.

I think I am going with Southbend.

Comment

Keep in mind, the e36 M3 clutch setup is not the same as the 328 clutch setup, even though both are 240mm.

I ran a stock M3 clutch in mine. It was bangin. I will probably go with an M3 aluminum flywheel and a Southbend clutch when I go turbo.

PS I have driven a lot of high-performance clutches (clutchnet, kennedy, FX700, etc) and NONE of them can hold a candle to Southbend. It's smoother and easier to drive than anything else at the same torque capacity.

Comment

we ran a lightened m20 flywheel and stock used clutch on the s52 drift bitch and it never slipped.....

Comment

Originally posted by matt View Post
                              Keep in mind, the e36 M3 clutch setup is not the same as the 328 clutch setup, even though both are 240mm.

I ran a stock M3 clutch in mine. It was bangin. I will probably go with an M3 aluminum flywheel and a Southbend clutch when I go turbo.

PS I have driven a lot of high-performance clutches (clutchnet, kennedy, FX700, etc) and NONE of them can hold a candle to Southbend. It's smoother and easier to drive than anything else at the same torque capacity.
                              Yah. I drove Jordan's car. Feels real nice. Probably going to do a Stage 2 for the eventually supercharger so I never have to worry. Plus the warranty and customer service is good.

I got a "M52 Aasco" so I have to run the M52 style clutch.

Comment

Working...
                              X