Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What car can i source 5 speed swap parts from?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What car can i source 5 speed swap parts from?

before i can drop in my new engine and transmission i need to convert my 325i form auto to manual.

Do i have to find a pedal assembly and master clutch cylinder from another E30? can i also use the parts from an E36?

i went to the salvage yard today but pretty much everything was picked clean and the one e30 i found that had the pedal was missing the master cylinder so i decided to leave it alone and just wait to find everything together.

comes down to cost vs convienance, you can buy a full setup from someone on here parting a car or whatever, but it will most likely cost you more then a wreaker pull.

or you can pick what you can from the wreaker, and then source the rest from here, or ebay, or any other marketplace.

IIRC, master cylinder is no more then $100 brand new, so im sure you could find one cheap.

I went through a simular problem when i was preparing to do the 24v swap, as do many, some will slowly collect parts over months, or even years, and get the swap done for dirt cheap, others will go out and drop 10k to have everything that evening....

also if your swapping the engine, thats the best time to swap to manual. do it all at once, its a lot easier to seperate and handle the tranny when its all on the ground beside you, then over your head well youre on your back

Full Build Thread Here

Comment

Originally posted by MattM View Post
      comes down to cost vs convienance, you can buy a full setup from someone on here parting a car or whatever, but it will most likely cost you more then a wreaker pull.

or you can pick what you can from the wreaker, and then source the rest from here, or ebay, or any other marketplace.

IIRC, master cylinder is no more then $100 brand new, so im sure you could find one cheap.

I went through a simular problem when i was preparing to do the 24v swap, as do many, some will slowly collect parts over months, or even years, and get the swap done for dirt cheap, others will go out and drop 10k to have everything that evening....

also if your swapping the engine, thats the best time to swap to manual. do it all at once, its a lot easier to seperate and handle the tranny when its all on the ground beside you, then over your head well youre on your back

but do the parts have to come from an e30? could i source the parts rom say an e36?

Comment

EDIT: wait you posted this in 24v section, which tranmission are you using?
        Last edited by MattM; 03-21-2010, 10:16 PM.

Full Build Thread Here

Comment

Originally posted by MattM View Post
          EDIT: wait you posted this in 24v section, which tranmission are you using?
          yea sorry if its the wrong section but figured since i was doing a 24v swap at the same time it would be relevant.

im using the ZF transmission that came with the motor and the slave cylinder that came with it.

was kind of hoping if i ouldnt find a decent e30 withthe parts that maybe i could find an e36 manual shell at the salvage yard that i could yank the pedal assembly along with the clutch master cylinder and lines.

Comment

Hey man what it do?

I have M52, ZF320, E36 M3 slave, UUC Clutch/Flywheel. All other parts will be OEM E30 as I understand.

Comment

^^Throw-out bearing needs to match the transmission as well. I used my ZF with completely stock E30 shift linkage-- it fit perfectly.

Comment

Yah. Since I have M52/ZF320 it will match.

Comment

Originally posted by dinanm3atl View Post
                  Yah. Since I have M52/ZF320 it will match.

are you using the ZF shift linkage or the E30 linkage?

Comment

Buy your e30 clutch master & slave cylinders new. They're essentially wear items. Much easier to replace when everything is out of the car. As for the pedals, I'm not positive about this, but I seem to remember that the clutch pedal and bracket is an add on to your standard pedal set and does not require all new pedals. You'd want it off an e30 for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by browntown View Post
                      Buy your e30 clutch master & slave cylinders new. They're essentially wear items. Much easier to replace when everything is out of the car. As for the pedals, I'm not positive about this, but I seem to remember that the clutch pedal and bracket is an add on to your standard pedal set and does not require all new pedals. You'd want it off an e30 for sure.

do i have to buy a new bracket too thats under the dash? or is the bracket already there and the holes as well and all i need is the bolt, pedal and bushings to install the pedal?

Comment

I have all fresh E30 shifter parts.

Comment

I would just look at realoem, then stick your head under the dash and see what's already there. I can't tell you exactly which parts, it has been a while since I looked.

Comment

ok so i may have found the pedal assembly from a 1990 airbag car but now im being told that since my car is an 89 and possbily no airbag that i can not use the pedal assembly from an airbag car in a non airbag car..

is this true? is there no way to use the pedal assembly from an airbag car and install into a non airbag car?

Comment

Go to realoem and see if the part # changes from 88/89 to 90/91. That will tell you.

You sure you're up for the swap? Seriously, I'm not trying to be a dick here, but the engine swap is probably more complicated then the pedals and it sounds like you're unsure about a lot of things. I would consider mapping out everything with research before you dive in. This stuff is pretty minor compared to the wiring nightmare ahead of you.

Comment

Working...
                              X