Those with the 80/88C Z3 fan switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those with the 80/88C Z3 fan switch

About what temp on the stock gauge does your fan activate? I just asked for one from an M44 Z3, I installed it and it works but low speed doesn't activate until almost the 3/4 mark, which is where I think high speed should be activated. I can always just connect the low speed circuit trigger to the high speed circuit, but I feel like we should have a fan switch where the low speed fan kicks in just past the halfway mark and the high speed comes on just before the 3/4 mark to keep temps in check; I know 24V motors like to run hotter than M20s, but letting them get close to the red zone, even on the E30 cluster, before high speed kicks in, is stupid.

Or, is it possible that I received the wrong fan switch?

Thats how mines setup. I also have a seprate switch so i can turn the fan on when i want. During normal conditions it usually runs just over half on the e30 cluster.
    Interested to hear what others think??if 3/4 is to hot?
    sigpic
    '89' E30 with Euro S50B30

Comment

Check the switch. The temps should be engraved on the body.

m

Comment

Will do, thanks. After a bunch of searching, it seems like others have reported 80/88C fan switches to activate low speed at just after the halfway mark like it seems they should. It seems there are also multiple fan switches (90/99C or 80/88C) for E36 M42/M44 cars; I probably just received the wrong switch. I'll double check the temps on the body and report back for documentation purposes.

Comment

Well, sure enough, looks like I picked up a 90/99C switch. The correct 80/88C switch should behave almost exactly how I explained in the OP.

Comment

Working...
          X