Quick question: The two coolant sensors on the head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick question: The two coolant sensors on the head

There's a black connector and blue connector, I guess they're both temp sensors, one to the ecu and one to the cluster.
    Which one can I replace with a VDO guage sensor without making the ecu think the engine is always cold?

Thanks!

my head has three holes for something. I think the one that isnt there is a hole to go to heat the throttle body, not sure. I was planning on just using the third hole to put the new sensor in.

-Dan

Comment

Is it ok to delete the TB coolant lines?

Comment

Blue...sensor for DME control of fuel mix.
        brown/black....sender Gauge.

m

Comment

Originally posted by bejbis View Post
          my head has three holes for something. I think the one that isnt there is a hole to go to heat the throttle body, not sure. I was planning on just using the third hole to put the new sensor in.

Wow is that a picture from the future?

Seriously though you're lucky I have to drill out that middle hole on my engine.

'89 Alpine S52 with goodies

Comment

Next question: black sensor on oil filter tank is low pressure switch for the cluster light?
            Can that be deleted? And What is the space right next to it? Mine has some sort of goldish plug.
            I suspect both to be M12x1.5, correct?

Comment

i beleive u have the wrong sensor in
              - the round black one that comes with 4 pins goes to the ecm ( m50/m52/s50/s52 )
              - the blue one that u have on the left side is also for the ecm on the e30.

u need the brown one off the e30 for the e30 cluster. it only has 1 pin on it, even though the connector is a 2 pin connector

Comment

sorry for the previous post, i confused the pic in the second post with the original post..... my m52 came with both those sensors integrated into 1 that looks like the round black one.
                however to my understanding, only the e30 sender will work with the e30 cluster

Comment

Anyone know if I can safely use both of the inlets on the oil filter housing (pics above)?

Comment

^^^

Comment

If you are trying to add an oil pressure sensor, use something like this:

It will allow you to add a standard 1/8NPT sensor and keep the stock warning light working as well.

Comment

Ok, but both these plugs are ok to use for oil press/temp right?

Comment

The back plug is just a plug. I wouldn't use it for anything because you don't know what it goes to.

Do pressure at the same fitting the factory does and temp by tapping the oil pan.

Comment

Anyone know what the second plug goes to and if I can use it?
                            I bought a Y adapter so I can either keep the stock sensor and add VDO oil temp + pressure but use both plugs, or use only VDO temp + pressure with the Y adapter in place of the stock sensor.

Comment

If you're using a regular (autometer, VDO, bigass) OP sensor, you should really remote mount it or you'll be replacing them often. The vibrations on the engine are not good for those sensors hanging off the threads. So run a line over to the frame rail with a distribution block like what matt posted.

Comment

Working...
                              X