e30 s50 build realistic #'s???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

e30 s50 build realistic #'s???

i'm considering going with building a s50 e30... i have a motor that i can get at a good price 120k mi. for $1,700+trany and harness. and i can do most the work myself, pull both motors and gather all the parts needed to do the swap, then have a shop install the s50 into an e30.

i'd wana do s52 cams and heads to the motor prior to install. but what’s the true #’s on an e30 s50 (dinan chip, s52cams and ss rep headers) hp? Tq? 0-60? Weight?..
    And can this be a realistic build for $3-6k: (i know FAQ but for the people that have done this, whats the $ amount for parts...) e30-$500, motor-$1,700, parts 1,300, laber for install only-$1,500... so are my #way off... i wana spend as Little as possible but i want it to be done right! selling my 98m3 for 8k...

Thanks

Aaron

There's no real difference between S50 and S52 cams.

You should definitely be able to squeeze the swap for what you're thinking, but little things add up. Hoses, belts, new radiator / water pump, etc.

Originally posted by whysimon
    WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

yah luckily i get about a 50% discount at my napa so that will help some...
      but i cant what until i sell my M so i can start on this!!!

Comment

IMO, though, build on the BEST E30 platform you can find. Straightest, most original paneled, blown engine car possible.

If you start with a diving board car with shitty paint, the end result will not be worth much, so if it comes time to sell the car, you will not get top dollar.

Comment

what should a straight body clean e30 cost???

Comment

Man I hate threads like this. "Whats an s50 e30 like?? How cheap can i do it???" If you have to ask, its not for you. All of your questions have variable answers, and all of them could be answered by just browsing around this forum or another one.

Oh but- I dont think a $500 dollar e30 would be ready for an s50. Think of the thousands of dollars worth of parts it's going to need. Not that buying someone else's "done" e30 would be better, just saying it's gonna cost a lot more than $500 for a solid e30 that's ready for an s50. I think it's funny that your numbers are ultra-low-ball but you're willing to pay someone $1,500 for the install...yet you also say you can do most of the work like pulling engines yourself...what the hell are you paying someone for?

Anyway....I hate threads like this!

Comment

Sadly, a $500 car will handle like shit with just the engine swapped in.

I'd budget at least another $1000 to get the suspension up to snuff, because you KNOW that everything's going to be shot on a $500 car.

Comment

The cost of the swap isn't really in the motor - it's in all the other shit you find when you completely disassemble the car. I've avoided adding up my receipts, but I'd figure I've got about $8-10k into my E30. ...and I already had the motor. ...and I've paid nothing for labor.
                2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
                2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
                1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
                1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
                - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
                1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
                1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
                Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

I've got a $1200 E30, was in pretty shitty condition to begin with.
                  Here's what I've done so far to get the car up to snuff. Keep in mind, this is just for an M50 swap.

New Lemfoerder control arms/M3 bushings, E36 steering rack and tie rods - $400
                  Rebuilt calipers, new pads and rotors - ~$350
                  UUC Swaybars - $500
                  M50NV - $600
                  M42 radiator - $150
                  Misc parts for swap - fuel lines, gaskets, vacuum hoses, pulleys, manifolds, shifter and bushings, etc - ~$500ish
                  Captain shithead exhaust work - $300
                  New Sachs clutch kit and flywheel resurface/lighten/balance - $400
                  New suspension - $1000

Now keep in mind, I don't have much to "show" for it. My car still looks like shit, and it squeaks like I'm an asshole with an improperly tensioned belt because of some fucked up water pump problem. I'm working on the water pump problem and I don't really mind the car not looking the part (that's what I like about it), but if you would, then at least get a well cared-for shell worth a damn. You don't think about it, but you cannot fathom the difference between a clean, stock E30 and a $500 shitbox that you got because you didn't want to pay for a car with an engine. Most of the time, if you get a piece of shit, you cannot fully reverse it without completely stripping the car down, getting all new switches and body harnesses, window motors, interior bits and windshield, painting it (I'm not even going to mention rust), and replacing every single wear item, especially as with old cars, things have a tendency to inexplicably stop working when you remove/touch/breathe on them.

So, yes, do yourself a favor and get a clean shell if you can. Even those oftentimes have one or two problems, but you'll be happy with the end result.

Comment

Its just better to go slowly and get to know these cars and motors, rather than trying to jump into it all at once and get your first e30 just to 24v swap it immediately. You just aren't as informed. I guess if you've got big bucks, you can pay a shop who does these swaps to build you a car, but that's a different thing.

Comment

sell the m3. find nice e30 for like 3-4k, drive it till the motor dies, use the time in between for building your new engine/e30. thats what im doing.
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X