Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M50NV Cam timing help

Hey guys,

I just did my head gasket and got the head rebuilt. The cam's were taken out. I have them roughly at TDC, the lobes are facing towards eachother. My problem is, I don't have the cam lock tool to find out exactly where TDC is on the cams. I've searched and watched a couple videos but I need clarification.

I know which way the gears go on because they're marked in relation to the cam but do the arrows on the cam gears point 90 degrees straight up in relation to the ground, or to the surface of the head? So looking from the front of the car will they look like \ or | ?

Also, I have the bentley and it says to install a timing chain tension tool and not the tensioner when doing it, can I just loosely install the tensioner?

Thanks

Sam
    1985 325e 2.8 Turbo VEMS

This is what I have so far, it's just testing it out. I don't think it's right.

This is with no pressure on the chain tensioner.

This is with adding pressure with my finger, it lines the cam holes up all the way to the left like it's supposed to be.

Does the arrow at the top have to shift to point up 90 degrees from the top of the head? If thats the case I'd have to turn the cam counter clockwise.

Also the crank is at top dead center, the mark is lined up.

Sam
    1985 325e 2.8 Turbo VEMS

Comment

buy the tools and do it right...not worth the cost of a new motor

ps for the crank lock you need a m50 flywheel or flex plate
      looking for a e30m50 swap harness adapter pm me $150 shipped
      email nitroman12@gmail.com

Comment

It would be worth your while to track down someone with a cam lock tool. I was able to time my cams without one, but my engine was on a stand also so i could level the head in relation to the square end sections of the cams.

As far as the sprocket goes, it should be pointing straight up (90 deg from head i guess). The cam holes are in the middle of the sprocket holes if i remember right. Then when the tensioner is added it should line the holes up on the left.

Comment

I'm trying to hunt down a tool. They're like $160 + shipping. From what I can see is it just holds the cams straight, no special angles or anything.
          1985 325e 2.8 Turbo VEMS

Comment

Go up to your local bmw dealer and talk to a mechanic, maybe you could toss em a few bucks to come by with a lock.

Comment

I didn't get the cam gear hot tanked, I can see all the marks from the cam still. If I don't find a cam tool, I might set them referenced to them and still turn the engine by hand and see.

The headgasket was done before, I don't think the cam was set properly, the holes were to the center on the exhaust side and not set to the left most side of the gear.
              1985 325e 2.8 Turbo VEMS

Comment

My buddy who is a BMW tech is going to bring me the tool tomorrow hopefully.
                1985 325e 2.8 Turbo VEMS

Comment

Done, buddy brought the cam lock over and it's all gravy. Now I just have to put everything else back together
                  1985 325e 2.8 Turbo VEMS

Comment

Working...
                  X