Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whos Bored? OBD2 E30 Content

Hey guys.

After countless painstaking hours i have put together this complete wiring map for my personal use and others. I havent been able to find a single plan that details every 'custom' connection that needs to be made, and therefor thought this would become an invaluable resource. It includes every connection that needs to be made to make OBD2 work in a facelift E30

If anyones bored and would like to go through and proof read it that would be great. I have gone through it a few times, and my head is swimming with numbers.

Please note that this is NOT the final version. Its still in development, so no point in anyone downloading this to stash away on your computer as its not 100% accurate. When its finished it will be posted here either as its own sticky or in one of the others for download

And yes i am doing this off my own back and getting nothing out of it. i wish i could have found something like this for my conversion

Thanks for any help and, more importantly, corrections and additions you may find

Andy

I'm in the process of doing the EXACT same thing. I have been pouring over wiring diagrams and other people's conversion diagrams trying to figure out what I'm doing.

I have the luxury of pulling an EWS matched set from a running car, where the engine is coming from, so at least I know it all works to start with.

I'll post up my latest spreadsheet when I get home from work later...

Looking for a clean e30 shell for a project.

Comment

I was able to get at my computer at home, my diagram is attached.

I'm still trying to verify all the connections are correct for my specific year/trim combo (91 318 and 98 528 m52).

also, check out this thread as i think its probably the most comprehensive on the interwebs...

I've spent tons of hours on wiring too, I want this thing to fire up first try once the swap is done!
      Attached Files

Comment

I spotted the difference in our plans - you have your main x1659 pin#2 going to diagnostic, I don't believe that is required.

Other than that they look pretty much the same. I'll be right there with you trying to fire everything up in a couple short weeks....

Comment

Originally posted by monkeytaco View Post
          I was able to get at my computer at home, my diagram is attached.

I'm still trying to verify all the connections are correct for my specific year/trim combo (91 318 and 98 528 m52).

also, check out this thread as i think its probably the most comprehensive on the interwebs...

I've spent tons of hours on wiring too, I want this thing to fire up first try once the swap is done!
          that is a pretty good thread ;)

...but at my third track car swap, i've learned a few things along the way. i need to go back through there and clean it up.
          No more e30s for me.
          88 black BMW OBDII 332is dedicated track [sold]
          88 BMW OBDII bronzit 332is [RIP 03/08]
          91 BMW 325i [sold]
          86 Corolla 'Ae86' HB 20v trd [sold]
          http://youtube.com/watch?v=pTj7Hn9v5Rs

Comment

Originally posted by etxxz View Post
            that is a pretty good thread ;)

...but at my third track car swap, i've learned a few things along the way. i need to go back through there and clean it up.
            do share, o wise obd2 master......

now. do it now. gogogogogogo!

:-D

Comment

Originally posted by monkeytaco View Post
              I spotted the difference in our plans - you have your main x1659 pin#2 going to diagnostic, I don't believe that is required.

Other than that they look pretty much the same. I'll be right there with you trying to fire everything up in a couple short weeks....
              Not sure. Either way though, I have a diagnostic scanner so i may as well link it up. Its throwing a bit of a wobbly that it can talk to the EWS as it is so i might as well connect it. Im also from the school of thought that too much (in this case wiring) is better than not enough

Your diagram is otherwise identical to mine.

----

etxxz, i compared our two diagrams, and have found two differences.

you have connected P8C101 to P8X20 with the note 'check engine light'. I have P8C101 recorded as part of the fuel rate circuit, and P8X20 as part of the check engine light curcuit, but connected to P20C101. Can you please confirm if your check engine light and your fuel rate fun-o-meter both work correctly (well.. correctlyish in the case of the fun-o-meter)

You also have P14C101 connected to P19X20 for our speed out signal. I have P14C101 As the oil level fault set, but is possibly connected to the cluster (like you have indicated), and have P19X20 connected to the Diagnostic Scanner. Again, any cahnce you can confirm your wiring? does the Scanner repond when you use it and the Road speed works fine?

Thanks mate :)

Comment

at the bottom "edit" section i talked about the engine light. whatever i wrote there is the correction o nthe wiring diagram. Yes they both work. The fun-o-meter does its thang. Its pretty entertaining otherwise.

Speed signal works for me. The scanner is something that i have to edit on those diagrams ; / i'm a little busy nowadays between work and my stupid s52 is apart again from dropping a valve but its on my list of things to do. Looking at your diagrams in a bit.
                No more e30s for me.
                88 black BMW OBDII 332is dedicated track [sold]
                88 BMW OBDII bronzit 332is [RIP 03/08]
                91 BMW 325i [sold]
                86 Corolla 'Ae86' HB 20v trd [sold]
                http://youtube.com/watch?v=pTj7Hn9v5Rs

Comment

thanks!

Comment

Working...
                  X