Which Porsche 944 brake booster?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Porsche 944 brake booster?

gathering parts to do my swap and am going to use a 944 brake booster but there are two kinds: Gerling and ATE. Anyone know which one to use? They are different sizes and moutings but I dont know what else is different.

Well most E30's (actually all, as far as I know) are equipped with ATE master cylinders so I'd have to say the ATE booster is probably the one you want. Are you positive that they mount differently though? I'm not 100% sure about all of those old 944's, but I did see one yesturday at a friends shop that had 3 mounting holes instead of the 4 I am used to seeing for mounting our boosters. I guess that's probably the difference between the manufacturers as far as mounting is concerned..

Comment

I just ran the part numbers, there are 3 different 944 types and 2 924 types. All years could use either ones. And I know the Girling type uses a ATE master cylinder as well so that doesnt help..

So, whoever has done this, please look at your booster and see which one it is. That is, IF it even makes a difference.

Comment

Friend and i just installed an ATE 944 booster with a girling master, came off a 944 turbo i believe.

Comment

so the ATE fits with no issues? (other than the rod fabrication) Did the ATE booster and the Girling master come as an assembly off the same car? weird..

thanks..

Comment

I ended up buying two 944 boosters, one was an ATE brand booster, the other a Girling booster. They both bolt up fine to the e30 firewall, have the exact same bolt spacing for the master, and identical rod length. They appear to be of similar volume, but the Girling is slightly larger in diameter and thinner but still fits fine with the OBD1 intake manifold. The only major difference is the ATE booster rod is 10mm in diameter down the entire length where the Girling flares below the threaded section of the rod. When you cut the Girling rod to make it fit the E30, you will have to grind it down before you can thread it to accept the E30 jamnut and clevice. So they both will fit, but the ATE brand booster is much easier to modify and will fit slightly better in relation to the intake manifold.

Comment

just use a e21 or ix booster?
              sigpic

Comment

Pm Spaz I know he used a 944 booster on his swap.

'89 Alpine S52 with goodies

Comment

Thanks Gnarles!!!!!!!!!!

et all....

xwill.. there is a porsche salvage yard close to me where i can go pick one out and for cheap..

Comment

Ate is A perfect fit
                    1989 332IS -S-Fiddy Four-Some weight removed.
                    5 lug E36 M3 Brakes Coilovers and LTW's and No ABS.

Comment

Originally posted by rattlsnak View Post
                      so the ATE fits with no issues? (other than the rod fabrication) Did the ATE booster and the Girling master come as an assembly off the same car? weird..

thanks..
                      Yes it fit fine, no issues. We just measured the total length from firewall to end of threaded rod on the stock booster and made the threads/cut accordingly.

Comment

thanks guys...!

Comment

Working...
                        X