IF M/S 50 SWAPED READ THIS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IF M/S 50 SWAPED READ THIS

I'm doing a write-up with info pulled from all forums, PLEASE scrub and ADD, CORRECT, or CLARIFY. The write-up will be broken down to motor and year specific (non, vanos, dbl vanos). If something is e30 year spcific (ex. '84 318, part works; '86 325, same part dosen't work). If I can make this more clear for others great, I have to do it this way anyways. Thank you in advance for paving the way, I am no expert, that is who I am relying on.

This is my first part check back for updates, I'll gladly email combined parts as I combine them.

Europe has double vanos on some e36's; US is listed, but some parts are interchangeable.

M50 / S50

’92 NON-VANOS OBD-I
    ’93-’95 VANOS OBD-I

M52 / S52

’96 + VANOS OBD-II

’92-’95 M50: Least expensive motor, most available, needs modification to equal hp of S50 (can cost more than starting off with S50), cast iron block, aluminium head, cast iron exhaust manifold.

’95 S50: More hp for less modifications = more cost effective, possibility of valve spring retainer failer before 10/’95, 10/’95 and later has updated retainers, replacement part # same as old part but redesigned, cast iron block, aluminium head, cast iron exhaust manifold.

’96 + M52 / S52: Expensive, OBD-II should be switched to OBD-I, cast iron block, aluminium head, stainless steal headers.

’97-’98 Z3 M52: Most expensive, OBD-II should be switched to OBD-I, aluminium block, aluminium head, and stainless steal headers.
    bmpr stkr: real racers go left and right... so tru

There is only single vanos on the E36 motors.

Originally posted by DaveCN
    Welcome.

Your car is a piece of shit.

Most of them here are, too.

Comment

Thank you I'll correct it on the original thread. :D

Comment

Original post edited. :D

Comment

Originally posted by grapedrink
          There is only single vanos on the E36 motors.
          In the US.
          Im now E30less.
          sigpic

Comment

I'll add only in US for ya, thank you, here is the next bit, correct, add, and what ever :D

COMPLETE ’92 M50 (NO HOT MODS)

• Motronics unit ECU 402 or 403, DME
            • E36 Wiring harness, wiring support bracket
            • Intake Manifold with PCV fitting, PCV hoses (2 with check valve and hose separator), air temp. sensor, vacuum port, gaskets, brackets (pair), MAF and MAF boot
            • Throttle Body
            • Idle valve hoses X 2, idle air control valve
            • Fuel rail, lines and hardware, injectors, pressure regulator
            • Coil Packs with plastic harness X 6
            • O 2 sensor
            • Camshaft position sensor, camshafts (M3 cam won’t work)
            • Zionsville radiator (aluminum – must if going to track) or E36 radiator and ‘89+ surge tank, or '89 + E30 radiator with E36 hoses
            • Metal impeller water pump (comes with ceramic - replace with metal)
            • Aluminum thermostat
            • E30 Coolant temp sensor X 2 – one for the ECU and one for the instrument cluster, coolant hoses – throttle body supply with thermal switch, coolant sender
            • Hose clamps
            • E34 525 or M5 oil pan (needs to be shaved), dipstick gasket, oil suction pipe part # 11-41-1-748-150, oil suction pipe gasket part # 11-41-1-703-947, new oil pan bolts (toss old bolts), oil pan gasket part # 11-13-1-437-237
            • E28 M5 or 535i motor mounts
            • 320i Tranny mounts (?all trannies?)
            • E30 260 Getrag, E36 manual, or ZF (M3) E36 Tranny
            • Harmonic balancer sensor
            • Plugs for exhaust manifold, gaskets
            • Alternator
            • E36 Power steering pump
            • E30 starter if E30 flywheel or E36 starter if E36 flywheel
            • All pulleys

Comment

Different engines use different ECU #'s
              92 Non Vanos: 402, 403
              93 - 95 Vanos: 413 Red Label
              All OBD2 cars should be converted back to OBD1 but if you can get it to work, more power to you.
              91 m3

Comment

e36 wiring harness (e34 will work i hear, but is pretty short)

The 92' motor does not have Vanos, so take the vanos valve out of your list, as well as the knock sensors.

'89+ e30 radiator will work, e36 coolant hoses

the newest m50/s50 water pump actually doesn't have a metal impeller, i believe its ceramic

e30 coolant temp sensor threads into the m50

e28 535i mounts work

e30 starter if using e30 tranny, e36 starter if using e36 tranny
                '91 318is
                sigpic

Comment

hey people, is that list above show the necesarry items required for the transplant, coz i am thinking about throwing in a m50, i was running on a an m20b20 with a stock manual gearbox. i want to put in a m50b20 vanos, can i use the stock e30 tranny or do i have to change? i am quite new to bimmers, does my car need LSD if i do the transplant. i can;t get much info from where i am coz most people here throw nissan sr20,rb2b or rb25 in thier e30. need some help please. -thanks
                  2.2 million E30s were made during the car's ten year life span.

E30 ROCKS!!!!

Comment

Alright, my last post was updated. Thanks. Rescrub. :D

Comment

Sanjj,

Not complete, but getting there, keep checking back. :)

Comment

sorry man , car is in the workshop, not sure what to do, i would like the m50 but on a budget and you can't really calculate exactly how much you are going to spend on mods, the problem over hear is that i don think anyone has done a m50 swap, so i am affraid they might screw it up, dont have all the tools to do it myself, have to send it to a workshop. but thanks i ll check the updates :)

E30 ROCKS!!!!

Comment

just curious, on average how much does it cost to buy a m50b25 motor in the US, sorry that this is off topic.

E30 ROCKS!!!!

Comment

E30/m50

Sanji

Actually there are several E30s running around in KL with M50 engines and at least one with S50.

Check out www.bmwclubmalaysia.com.

BTW if you are doing the M50 swap why bother with B20. Should go straight to B25.

Good luck.

Comment

thanks man, hehe yeah but i can afford the road tax, but i am thinking about the b25

E30 ROCKS!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X