Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M52 into E30...which engine mounts?

Hi All,

I'm newish to this forum, and also new to twin cam swaps into E30s. I have bought a M52B28 for the conversion. I was just wondering which engine mounts I should use (both from the block to the rubber mount, and the rubber mounts themselves). Also, the project orca CD shows that the crossmember needs a slight modification...I then hear that using E28 M5 engine mounting hardware should let me bolt the engine straight up to the crossmember...what's the story there???

Thanks,

Andrew.

E36 engine mount arms, e28 535 or m5 mounts.
    '91 318is
    sigpic

Comment

i was wondering how much more difficult it is to do an m52 swap than m50
      anyone know? a quick summary will suffice
      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
      Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

Thanks for that. My M52 came from a Z3...will engine mount arms from the Z3 work with the E30 crossmember?

So just to clarify, I use E36 engine mount arms, and either E28 M5/535i rubber mounts?

Comment

Originally posted by Drew325is

So just to clarify, I use E36 engine mount arms, and either E28 M5/535i rubber mounts?
          exactly...

Originally posted by NC325iC
          If you want to do it right, convert to obd-1, if you dont want to do it right, and you'd like to stick with 189hp, then go for the engine, wiring harness, emissions shit & ecu, then get a chip that disables EWS... I would think that'd be it... Its probably more work to do the obd-1 conversion, but you'll put down alot better hp figures if you do.

-Addis[/quote]

Doing something M50 related? -> http://www.addissimo.com
          On Myspace? ->http://groups.myspace.com/r3vlimited
          BF2142 SN = BillyGoose

Comment

Thanks!

I am going with an aftermarket ECU to bypass all the OBD issues.

Originally posted by Addissimo

exactly...

Originally posted by NC325iC
            If you want to do it right, convert to obd-1, if you dont want to do it right, and you'd like to stick with 189hp, then go for the engine, wiring harness, emissions shit & ecu, then get a chip that disables EWS... I would think that'd be it... Its probably more work to do the obd-1 conversion, but you'll put down alot better hp figures if you do.

-Addis
            [/quote]

Comment

Thanks!

I am going with an aftermarket ECU to bypass all the OBD issues.
              An aftermarket chip isn't going to "bypass all the OBD issues". Part of the problem with M/S52 motors is the fact that you have a lot of the emissions parts and an arguably restrictive manifold. Like Addissimo said, swapping the manifold, engine wire harness (which necessitates an OBD-I DME), some sensors, etc. from an OBD-I car will give you some nice improvements in HP (torque loss can be minimized with an aftermarket chip). If you have already decided to put an M52 in your car, then at least go the next step and convert to OBD-I.

Comment

By after market ECU he means a complete replacment of the computer not a chipping of the current computer.
                Here in AUS chips are rarely used we tend to simply replace the Computer.

Comment

Originally posted by carazy
                  By after market ECU he means a complete replacment of the computer not a chipping of the current computer.
                  Here in AUS chips are rarely used we tend to simply replace the Computer.
                  Exactly! It'll be complete replacement of the entire engine management system.

Comment

I have a complete obd1 conversion... let me know
                    Joe Funk -- Portland Oregon
                    That Guy.
                    03 X5. 3 liter obviously.

Comment

I would like to do the M52/2.8 liter swap but, I was curious about the OBD-I conversion but I am already pushing my budget and the conversions from OBD I to II for an 96-98 M3 are high dollar. So how much do you think that I am looking at spending?

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657387

Comment

Working...
                      X