M50 swap engine missing pulley question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M50 swap engine missing pulley question

I was looking at my M50 engine and it looks to me like I might be missing the deflection pulley?
    Its got a mechanical tensioner on the oil filter housing,
    but unsure if there is another pulley because there are some things missing on the motor.
    It is a 1994 Vanos M50TU engine.
    Could anyone take a look at a front pic of my M50 and see what you think I may need?
    I am only installing an alternator and power steering pump with no A/C compressor for now.

I am looking at realoem to try and figure out what I am missing
    -->

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.d...98&hg=11&fg=18

Originally Posted by Blunt
    I've done this so much I have a toenail on my dick.

You seem to be missing #5, 6, and 7. #5 bolts in on the oil filter housing just above the tensioner pulley.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...99&hg=11&fg=18

Comment

Heres my engine when i picked it up if it helps:

Comment

Cool thanks,
        That helps alot! It is so frustrating because there are so many random nuts and bolts that I am missing and I'm having trouble sourcing any of them.
        Missing all the nuts that hold the intake manifold on studs, bolts for alternator/powersteering too.

Comment

I feel your pain dude I am waiting on my third round of random hardware for my swap. Make sure you get the right length bolts for your tensioner pulleys, they're different lengths on the mechanical and hydraulic tensioners (ask me how I know.) For some reason my head didn't even have the studs for the intake manifold installed. It seems like every time I go to put another piece on the engine I am missing the hardware for it.

'89 Alpine S52 with goodies

Comment

Originally posted by rosphill View Post
            Cool thanks,
            That helps alot! It is so frustrating because there are so many random nuts and bolts that I am missing and I'm having trouble sourcing any of them.
            Missing all the nuts that hold the intake manifold on studs, bolts for alternator/powersteering too.
            Once you get that block on the engine stand, turn it upside down and tap on the engine to see if you can dislodge any fasteners.
            I would not be surprised if a nut or two are sitting in the intake ports.
            Roll the engine back upright afterwards and turn the crank clockwise by hand slowly for two revolutions .

m

Comment

For what it's worth, I've seen a bunch of cars without those deflection pulleys. Not sure what the year/model break was. My '97 S52 never had one and I never had any trouble out of that engine due to a lack of belt wrap around the pulleys.

Comment

I wasn't planning on removing the tranny off the engine because I want to install it all as one piece, but I see what you are saying about possibility of intake nuts in the valvetrain ports that would be catastrophically bad. Thanks for bringing that up, thats very good advice.

Where does the deflection pulley bolt into? I thought it bolts into the oil filter housing above the tensioner pulley, but I've looked at a lot of replacement oil filter housings and none of them had that deflection pulley mounted on it..I may just skip having that pulley then.

Man, There doesn't have to be much missing or wrong with an engine for it to start feeling more like a shortblock than a longblock...

Comment

Working...
                X