Ive done my diagnostic... your opinion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ive done my diagnostic... your opinion?

So ive recently completed, or made it drivable anyways, my s52 swap on my 88 m3. Motor is a 97 s52 with approx 87k on it. Obd1 converted with m50 manifold, 21.5 #, and a 3.5 hfm.. The headers are stock obdII but
    modified for fit in e30, the chip is a trm.

The motor did sit for bit while preperations were made, and now it has a pretty nasty tick. Ive decided one way or another that im going to rebuild the vanos next week, because i know i can hear that, BUT is it possible for the vanos rattle to resonate back into the valve cover and cause this tick im hearing? It tends to get louder as the car heats up to running temp, and stays pretty constant.

Oil level is right, pressure im not sure of, but the oil pump bolt was lock tited at about 66k.

My only other thought was maybe an exhaust leak, but it sounds very mechanical.

I know the lifter tick is a notorious problem with these motors, but i would like to rule out all other possibilities before dropping a few hundred bucks on new lifters...

Any input would be much appreciated.
    Matt

Ive attached this video and when i listen to it, it sounds just like the vanos sounds on beison, and dr vanos and the ticking is slightly masked by it.. but some of you may know what im talking about.
    thanks again
    Note: car was at running temp when video was taken
    Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

How long have you let the motor run. Have heard of this getting better after they run a bit.

Originally posted by Roysneon
    $5 shipped?
    Originally posted by MarkD
    You are a strange dude, I'n not answering any more posts from you.

Comment

its been running for a little over a week, drove it probably less than 100 miles.

Comment

What kind of oil do you have in there?
        IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

mobile 1 0w40

side note, and this may be a dumb question, but has anyone ever considered that changing the pick up tube might some how affect oil pressure in swap cars?

Comment

Run it to operating temp, drain a qt. of oil, and dump in a qt. of ATF. Run that for 30-45 min at idle and up to 3,000 rpm's cycling as you sit there doing so. Drain the oil (all), replace filter, and fill with a 5w30, and do an oil change in 500-1000 miles. if that does not resolve it, then move on to opening up the top end and tossing in a Dr. VANOS stg II kit.

Comment

Sounds dead on like vanos rattle.

Comment

Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber View Post
                Run it to operating temp, drain a qt. of oil, and dump in a qt. of ATF. Run that for 30-45 min at idle and up to 3,000 rpm's cycling as you sit there doing so. Drain the oil (all), replace filter, and fill with a 5w30, and do an oil change in 500-1000 miles. if that does not resolve it, then move on to opening up the top end and tossing in a Dr. VANOS stg II kit.
                what is the purpose of the atf? to soften vanos seals? i already have the seals and thrust bearing piece from beisan that ill be putting in a donor vanos unit and replacing. In that case would the atf be relevant?

Comment

No, ATF will act as a detergent and clean oil system residue, in some cases, that will clear blockages in lifters, and other oil pressure controlled components.

I would not suggest a donor, used unit, if you can, replace it with something known to surely remedy the problem or further track it down via process of elimination.

250, or 395.

Comment

well i was going to do the beisan rebuild on the donor before installing, but i think im going to try the atf thing first. Ive been looking at dr vanos.. and would like to get the stage one.. i do believe in doing it right the first time, but moneys tight.

Comment

Yes, do not skimp on this end of the issue, if it's a saving thing, a few weeks of vanos rattle wont kill ya.

Comment

turns out it was actually the oil pump pick up tube gasket... a 4 dollar fix. Took most of the day, but well worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by zep06 View Post
                          turns out it was actually the oil pump pick up tube gasket... a 4 dollar fix. Took most of the day, but well worth it.

Seriously? Something else to check on mine I guess ;)
                          Need a part? PM me.

Get your Bass on. Luke's r3v Boxes are here: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=198123

Comment

I had a strange rattle comming from the top other than the typical vanos issue. Took the belt off and the noise went away. Found out my water pump pulley wasn't tight and it was also slightly bent on the block side lip belt guide. So the belt was a little frayed and I belive when I get another pulley tightened down good I'll be set. This thread helped, just thought I'd add my mysterios noise into the troubleshooting. Now to save up for the vanos kit!
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X