Help...Cranks but no start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help...Cranks but no start

I just finished hooking up most of the engine wiring. Some plugs are still not hooked up. I tried starting it and it cranks but it doesnt turn on. I've check the fuel line and the are installed correctly. The only things that are not hooked up are the MAF, o2 sensor, throttle cable, driveshaft. What can it be, any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Its an s50b30 with s50 auto harness (deleted auto harness). 413 red DME (not mounted yet just plugged in).

Ground wire?

Comment

It's already grounded

Comment

Wait, you don't have the MAF or the O2 hooked up? And you want it to run?
        Past Car : E30 S50 6 Speed 5 Lug 3.73
        Current : Z3 S50 OBD2 (Smog Legal) 6 Speed BBS RN Dual Ear Diff
        Julian 848-248-8029

Comment

Are you referring to a euro s50b30 or do you mean an s50 US? I am going to go ahead and assume that since you are using a 413 DME you mean an s50 US not an s50b30.

Check for fuel. Both delivery to the fuel rail and if the injectors are opening.

Check for spark.

Why are you so impatient to start the damn thing that you don't have the MAF and driveshaft hooked up anyway?

'89 Alpine S52 with goodies

Comment

just wanted to see if it turn on. I've ordered the MAF since i dont have one and the driveshaft I've order the g260 linkage. it's an US s50 not Euro S50b30.

Comment

Okay well pull a spark plug and get a friend to check for spark while cranking. Then pull the fuel delivery line and put the end in a container and see if fuel comes out. If that all checks out pull the fuel injector harness off the injectors and check for pulsating ground on one side of an injector connector plug.

Comment

ok I'll check that out tomorrow, ill let you know thanks.

Comment

It will barely run without the o2 and maf

The ECU needs the proper +12V and ground and a SOLID CPS signal (Done via VR Sensor on front timing cover)

Make sure you have the CPS hooked into the right place. And that its good (metering it and looking for 550 or 1200 ohms )
                  Pins 17 and 43
                  PG 138 for Pin out x6000 connector.

The fuel pump will turn on when the ECU sees crank signal.

Also get a maf on it, even mount the O2 sensor in the bung on the OBD1 headers for now.
                  Last edited by jrdeamicis; 06-25-2010, 08:35 PM.
                  Julian 848-248-8029

Comment

It will run fine without an O2 sensor hooked up.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrian_Visser View Post
                      It will run fine without an O2 sensor hooked up.
                      I fixed my post.

Yes, without an O2.
                      Yes, without a MAF

NO, without both.
                      Julian 848-248-8029

Comment

Originally posted by jrdeamicis View Post
                        I fixed my post.

Yes, without an O2.
                        Yes, without a MAF

NO, without both.
                        I would believe that.

Comment

I would believe that.
                          Without both it might just stumble and die. Since its just guessing how much air is coming into the engine.
                          Julian 848-248-8029

Comment

Okay well pull a spark plug and get a friend to check for spark while cranking. Then pull the fuel delivery line and put the end in a container and see if fuel comes out. If that all checks out pull the fuel injector harness off the injectors and check for pulsating ground on one side of an injector connector plug.
                            I havent check for spark but I took out the fuel feed line and fuel barely or non comes out... I already added about 2 gallons of gas. Also when are you suppose to hear the fuel pump go off? I don't hear it. The fuel pump was working fine on the m42 before it was pulled out

Comment

Well you checking for spark will narrow it down for you so do that.
                              If you have no spark and no fuel it could be the CPS, or the DME relay or the DME itself.

Is the power wire for the relays connected to the junction block like it should be and do the relays click when you turn the key to the run pos.?

If you have spark but no fuel I would lean towards the fuel pump relay or the fuel pump itself. Test each one, you can bypass the fuel pump relay to see if the pump will run.

First of all mount the DME properly. I managed to get mine to sit on the original mounts by just using a larger washer, i.e. a fender washer on one of the bolts and clamping it down. Although the DME has a harness ground it seems that sometimes that isn't enough.
                              Using the wiring diagrams on wedophones.com and the e36 bentley manual found here:

You should be able to find the problem yourself. Don't expect people on the interwebz to do all the thinking for you they aren't in your garage looking at your car like you are and cannot test things out.

Check some things and do some tests before you run to others for help...

Edit: the fuel pump should run only when the DME senses that the engine is turning over via the CPS.

Comment

Working...
                              X