S50 Drivetrain: Driveshaft question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S50 Drivetrain: Driveshaft question

I am getting ready to do my swap, and I am using the entire power train out of a 95 M3 (meaning I am using the s50 engine and ZF transmission). I am contemplating what my drive shaft configuration will be. I know what the typical combination's are, but I want to know what people have used on this specific engine/transmission set up. Thanks!

Do Work www.sbeuroclub.com

-S5X
    -zf tranny
    -e36m3 driveshaft
    [PAKSIW]
    20D .........
    vmwerks :up:
    ryan gmw :up:

Comment

You need the 328i or OBD-II M3 driveshaft. As you've probably noted, the '95 driveshaft has a CV joint, while the later ones are u-jointed.
      2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
      2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
      1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
      1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
      - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
      1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
      1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
      Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tangkenboo2 View Post
        -S5X
        -zf tranny
        -e36m3 driveshaft
        That is specifically what you used?

Originally posted by nrubenstein View Post
        You need the 328i or OBD-II M3 driveshaft. As you've probably noted, the '95 driveshaft has a CV joint, while the later ones are u-jointed.
        Yea, I had come to the conclusion and realized from all my reading that 96+ is needed.

Comment

Originally posted by rbartongrimley View Post
          everything i used is obdII
          [PAKSIW]
          20D .........

Comment

Originally posted by tangkenboo2 View Post
            everything i used is obdII
            So, I am gathering from your post that the OBD-2 drive shaft was a complete bolt up? Did you switch out the CSB?

Comment

So, I am gathering from your post that the OBD-2 drive shaft was a complete bolt up? Did you switch out the CSB?
              nope i just slotted mine so i would be able to bolt it straight up. reason for me not changing it is cause it was new. next time around i'll switch it out with an e30 CSB
              [PAKSIW]
              20D .........

Comment

Yea, I had come to the conclusion and realized from all my reading that 96+ is needed.

USUALLY but there are a LOT of 96 M3s out there that still had the UV joint style DS. to be safe you need to find a 97+ E36 328i/M3 manual drive shaft that has the 4 bolt rear.

i could not find one ANY where unless i ordered a rebuilt one online. no salvage yard had one and they were always snatched up quickly on forums or too expensive for shipping.

i ended up just taking the rear half of my DS from my automatic E30 along with a new e30 CSB and my UV jointed 96 M3 DS to a reputable DS shop along with dimensions from the Tranny Flange WITH the GUibo bolted on to Diff Flange face and said make this work.

389 dollars later i had a completely rebuilt and balanced perfectly fitted slipyoke DS for my car thatys better than brand new.

yes it was pricey but i would have rather spent the money after 4 months of searching instead of cursing at the computer screen at other people beating me to cheap DS's on forums because they are online 24/7 hunting parts since i have a full time job and dont have time for that.

you can also use a 86-87 Large Guibo Manual Drive shaft from an e30 ETA

Comment

If i have a fully intact 97 E36 M3 i can use the engine, transmission, and the driveline? How would this hookup to an e30 diff?
                  1989 E30 Zinnoberrot Vert 325i OBD1 S52 turbo;IP

Comment

as long as it has the 4 bolt rear section it should just bolt right up
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X