Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What exhaust system is most efficient for S50 engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, I kept my stock e36 M3 manifold on even though I have a set of ebay headers in the garage.
    Are you suggesting I put them on because the stock ones suck?

thanks

John K
    Park City, UT
    1991 BMW E30 M3 S52
    2003 Audi A4 Avant 1.8T

Comment

Originally posted by Lakis View Post
      So, I kept my stock e36 M3 manifold on even though I have a set of ebay headers in the garage.
      Are you suggesting I put them on because the stock ones suck?

thanks
      s52 manifolds are better than s50 ones, but neither suck. Ebay headers will perform differently in different areas of the powerband. I liked the way the s52 manifolds performed on my car.
      Check out Undr8d Empire on Facebook: www.facebook.com/Undr8dEmpireLlc

INSTAGRAM: @UNDR8D_EMPIRE

Scarlet V2 - #Project333Ti by @castromotorsport, @kingsautobodyshop, @bimmerheads, @hardmotorsport, @excel_motorsports & @mateomotorsports - http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=371356

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

I guess it depends on what your definition of "sucks" is. Stock "manifolds" have little to no gas velocity or wave tuning in them. They're functional to get the gasses out of the head and into the rest of the exhaust, but that's about it.

But ebay headers aren't really going to be a huge improvement, because they're made to look nice, not perform.. if it's already together I'd just leave it alone.
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

This site is awesome. Wish I could contribute something; all I have is ig and laz.

Roger that. Like I said, I have cut some flanges of another s52 to marry the connection from my s52 manifold. So, now I need to go into a 2 to 1?

Recommendations?: I am not going to run cats. So < I need to come off my manifold into a Y Pipe then straight pipes then a muffler I gather. I thought there was a flex pipe in there somewhere....

I really like the sound (and price) of that MagnaFlow although I've always wanted a supersprint muffler.

Out here in Utah though (I am Greek not mormon) they steel cat-conv...maybe they would start stealing SSprint is my fear!
          ha

John K
          Park City, UT
          1991 BMW E30 M3 S52
          2003 Audi A4 Avant 1.8T

Comment

try to keep the y pipe near the factory X pipe location. Otherwise it's not going to be too critical if you're using manifolds.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by e30polak View Post
              Just giving you shit Buddy. The TMS shorties are awesome. :p
              ACtually when I was doing the build, I was just about to order the Racelands, but was reading some fitment issues on E36 cars. I figured those issues would be exagerated on an E30.

Then the opportunity to get those popped up.

You'd be sick to your stomach if you knew what I paid for the headers/downpipe.
              Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
              Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
              One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

looking to start gathering parts...i found a mid pipe from a 97 M3 (OBDII?) for $200. I just got my car back from the shop that did the S50 swap (I shouldn't have an issue, right? S50 engine, S52 midpipe?)...took a look underneath and my pipes were also changed....looks like i'm now running straight dual, i think 3" pipes, to an X and out to muffler...no resonator, no cat...just loud as fuck! I think I've seen some of your post here saying you're running this setup...i need some friendly advice...

thanks
                Last edited by 5ickride; 08-26-2010, 09:50 PM.

Comment

Nando and E30Polak; thanks for your input.

Car is finally at the shop/exhaust.
                  I live in Park City UT so there are no inspections / emissions in Summit County.
                  That said- is running no cats really worth it? HP gain? I was thinking of putting in a test tube so I can just bolt on a cat if I move to NY next year.
                  THANKS

John K
                  Park City, UT
                  1991 BMW E30 M3 S52
                  2003 Audi A4 Avant 1.8T

Comment

no, it's not worth it. It can make it sound like ass, pollute more, and it automatically acts as a resonator to the tuned portion of the exhaust (headers).

just make sure it's metal core and not ceramic core
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Just got my first quote for customizing the exhaust. I have the stock e36 manifold on the engine. They said: Mandrel bending, 2.5", no cats in the quote, to a stainless magnaflow: '
                      $700.

Price seems high, no?

John K
                      Park City, UT
                      1991 BMW E30 M3 S52
                      2003 Audi A4 Avant 1.8T

Comment

it's going to be really loud too

surprised they would even touch an exhaust with no cat. you sure that's from the headers back? I had to peel off the California emissions sticker for them to even look at my car, and I put in a new cat.
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Yep, you told me so. I haven't said yes. I saw magnaflow cats on ebay new for $70 or so.

But you're saying it's expensive I gather?

What are people that don't make their own exhausts paying for this setup?

Yes- I have the original manifolds; and I gave them an extra set flanges so that is an easy match....

John K
                          Park City, UT
                          1991 BMW E30 M3 S52
                          2003 Audi A4 Avant 1.8T

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                            it's going to be really loud too

surprised they would even touch an exhaust with no cat. you sure that's from the headers back? I had to peel off the California emissions sticker for them to even look at my car, and I put in a new cat.
                            Ok- bought a metal core high flow cat. so that, 2.5 inch all the way and a magnaflow muffler.

Do you think it'll be very loud still? I could always add a resonator.

Thanks

John K
                            Park City, UT
                            1991 BMW E30 M3 S52
                            2003 Audi A4 Avant 1.8T

Comment

Working...
                            X