M50 wiring issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M50 wiring issue

So I have been working on my engine swap and its so close to being done finally. Yesterday I went to hook up my dme and the lights on my dash came on with no key in the ignition. So I know I have a wiring issue but when I tried to start it the starter solenoid clicked but then I lost all power. I have an M50 non vanos and I am using a harness from a 95 525i. I wanna see if i can get some feedback before i go back and work on it today. Thanks for the help guys.
    Last edited by brian90; 08-10-2010, 07:13 AM. Reason: Posting from my cell

wire issues

Is the battery post connection tight?

Comment

yeah i tightened that down yesterday.

Comment

You are using a Non-vanos engine with a vanos harness. I am undergoing my own M50, I don't honestly know if there is a difference.

Make sure all your power wires are hooked up correctly. Sounds like a power wire is hitting something of some sorts. Did you correctly hook up the main power wires on the pass side firewall?

Cross ref both harnesses and make sure you did not mess up something.

~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
        ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
        ~ '87 535
        ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
        ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

Yeah I know i screwed up my other harness so I had a vanos one laying around so I just put that one on instead. But ill check my power wires but would that make my dash lights turn on without the key in the ignition?

Comment

Okay so power wire is snug tight and there is a good ground from the block. The starter sounds like it engages but then nothing no crank no nothing. I know the engine turns over I can do it by hand. I don't know what else it can be come on guys any input please!

Comment

Simple stuff first there bud. Charge your battery.

'89 Alpine S52 with goodies

Comment

So you have the wrong harness for the engine knowingly..... Ok, have you looked at ETM for your particular engine/harness and compared the differences?

What DME are you using also? This is just all wrong though...
                Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Yeah I know it is so wrong but it's my daily and my only car so I need it done asap and I'll try a different battery tomorrow. I have a red label 413 and a red label 402 (I think). I have tried both and same thing happens with both of them. I used a very clear wiring diagram from BMW so I'm pretty confident on my wiring minus the whole every light comes on when I hook up the DME. :) lol I don't know DAMN YOU E30 you make my brain hurt sometimes.

Comment

windows

do your power windows work?

Comment

I will have to check tomorrow and ill let you know.

Comment

Originally posted by adrian_visser View Post
                        simple stuff first there bud. Charge your battery.
                        +1 :)

Comment

Okay sorry I haven't been on lately have been way busy with life. Okay so today I worked on my car and ran the wires again and I'm sure I have it right but still the same SH**. So when I connect the DME the load sensing relay trips any ideas? The windows roll up, I have enough battery voltage and when the DME is connected the lights on the dash are on even if the key isn't in the ignition. Please guys any input would be very helpful.

Comment

Working...
                          X