Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"money shifted" my m50 today... any ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"money shifted" my m50 today... any ideas?

so i missed 4th and hit 2nd today... car made it about 1 mile (to my house) after that. i noticed right after it happened the car ran, but rough. it wouldnt idle either. also noticed some smoke coming out of the bottom around the tranny.

when i got it stopped. i tried to start it and the start spun without the flywheel. i called my buddy who tows to come get it. before we loaded it, we tried to start it again. motor did turn over kinda slow with no fire...

i put it on the rack pulled the valve cover. chains are on. plugs werent covered in metal or oil. looks like the 2 arrows are lined up (didnt get a accurate tdc) on the cranks.

heres what im thinking:

maybe it jumped timing? sounds sluggish and wierd when i turn it over.
    maybe check compression?
    its a m50 from a 525 in a e30. pulling the oil pans a pain but i might try that next...

any ideas? thanks in advance..

Thats a chain driven motor, it´s not going to jump timing

Start by checking the oil for coolant and vice versa,
    Then I think you should remove the trans and check if you have broken anything there
    Gunni
    @ Prodrive / Aston Martin Racing

Comment

Re: "money shifted" my m50 today... any ideas?

Originally posted by hallfleming
      so i missed 4th and hit 2nd today... ..
      that really stinks. sorry to hear it. i just picked up an e36m3 that was moneyshifted....coming off exit ramp and grabbed 2nd instead of 4th. who knows how high the rpms got, but the valve head broke off and was imbedded in piston. i would start by running a compression check.

cheers, jason

Comment

Working...
      X