odd behavior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

odd behavior

so ive told you guys about how my car idles up and down after running for 10-15 minutes, and will end up stalling.
    so i left the mass air meter unplugged initially by accident, but the car seems to run better. i plugged it back in, and the idle is rougher and a little lower. So i unplug it again smooths out no idling up and down no stalling.
    It just seems to defy how a car should run. How can it drive down the road seemingly running good, and good power without the mass air connected??
    You would think it would be stumbling, and not drivable when giving it gas. if its not monitoring how much air its getting how does it know how much fuel to give.

Sounds like either the MAF is bad or it's plugged in backwards.
    Originally posted by BillBrasky
    E36's are the Stephen Baldwin of the 3 series family. They barely hold everything together and they only sold a lot because of the popularity of their older sibling.
    1991 318i Alpine II - S50/5-lug swapped - track car
    1989 325i Cirrusblau - Daily
    1970 2500 - Malaga over Grey Cloth
    2012 F350 6.7PSD

Comment

That could be. But having it not plugged in would seem just as bad, and the car wouldn't run right. But it seems to run fine without it plugged in.

Comment

Try flipping it around.
        Originally posted by BillBrasky
        E36's are the Stephen Baldwin of the 3 series family. They barely hold everything together and they only sold a lot because of the popularity of their older sibling.
        1991 318i Alpine II - S50/5-lug swapped - track car
        1989 325i Cirrusblau - Daily
        1970 2500 - Malaga over Grey Cloth
        2012 F350 6.7PSD

Comment

the air flow arrow is pointing in the right direction toward the TB, but ill flip it around tormorrow see if anything happens.

Comment

Originally posted by 89325iturbo View Post
            That could be. But having it not plugged in would seem just as bad, and the car wouldn't run right. But it seems to run fine without it plugged in.
            true but it does still have the TPS and O2 sensors to run off. when one of these three fail, the car will usually run and still be drivable, as it can be run off any combanation of these three sensors, just not 100% as efficiently, giving problems like yours

Originally posted by 89325iturbo View Post
            the air flow arrow is pointing in the right direction toward the TB, but ill flip it around tormorrow see if anything happens.
            intalled correctly then. probably a bad one

Comment

Thats the thing i understand it being still drivable with 2 out of the three, but it would have issues and not run 100%. But without the mass air connected its seems to be running normally. it doesnt have an erratic idle anymore nor has stalled. seems to have good power aswell.
              but i have nothing to compare it to cause its always had an idle issue, since i finished putting it together a couple months ago.

Comment

Still no clue, been driving my car without the mass air plugged in and no Ill affects.

Comment

Working...
                X