No cluster after swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No cluster after swap

I put an m52 (OBD II) into my 84 318i. I'm using a cluster out of a 1990 325i and swapped my gas gauge over to the new cluster (cause of the 55l tank)

The gas gauge reads full when there is only 15l in the tank, and none fo the gauges or bottom row of idiot lights work (backlighting, t/s, hi beams etc work). When I put the original cluster back in, the inspection lights and brake warning lights worked in addition to the above.

Now for my questions. Are the clusters interchangeable between early and late model, motomaster and VDO (I only have the blue and the white large connectors that plug into the back of it, no yellow one)? Also, if my tach, battery light, oil pressurelight etc dont work its probably just because I wired the adaptor wrong, no?

The engine did fire up first try though :)

Nvm, found my answer, searched a little harder.

But still, tach, bat and oil pressure doesnt work cause adaptor is wired wrong?
    Last edited by Dissembler; 09-18-2010, 06:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dissembler View Post
      Nvm, found my answer, searched a little harder.

But still, tach, bat and oil pressure doesnt work cause adaptor is wired wrong?
      Yep, all those things run through that connection.

Glad you got it running. Sorry for all the delays. :)

Comment

I appreciate that you took the extra time to work out the glitches and make sure it was perfect, even though it took a little longer. It was well worth it, because the engine is running smooth and throttle response is instantaneous! I love it! Can't wait to put the car through its paces at auto-x tomorrow. They are also bringing a mobile dyno (dynajet) so I'll do some pulls and post the results.

Comment

Working...
        X