Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need help with part no list/advice for this m50

Hey all

bought a m50 from usa expecting it to have bad lifters but be fully assembled but it was actually in pieces, the valve cover was off and it seems to have had some dirt and shit get on it.

i wouldnt be so wound up but there are 0 m50's at pull a part yourself wreckers so if i go to bmw wreckers or dealers ill get fleeced.

its got some new parts (crank and cam sensor as well as primary chain parts except for the tensioner and chain itself.

Anyway what i would like is to find out a few things,

first how do i check the compression of the motor, all guides online say i need to have the car warm before i do it, can i just do it cold?

The crank pulley has a bit of rust on the belt pulley section, can i just wirebrush it off and paint it or should i just leave it?

And could i get a parts no list for the bits i would want to replace if i have the motor with the folowing

New bmw HG + bolts
    Timing Chain Crankshaft Sprocket $68.66
    Timing Chain Rail for Crankshaft to Exhaust Cam Chain $15.14
    Cylinder Head Bolt Set (14 Bolts Per Set) $16.33
    Timing Chain Rail for Crankshaft to Exhaust Cam Chain $28.51
    Temperature Sending Unit 120 deg. C (2-Pole) (Black Top) $9.64
    Temperature Sensor (Coolant Temp Sensor) 20 deg. C / 2500 OHM 2 Prong FI Type Connector with Blue Insulator $6.29
    Gasket Right Side for Lower Timing Cover $1.51
    Gasket Left Side for Lower Timing Cover $1.22
    Position/RPM Sensor Camshaft $86.95
    Gasket Oil Filter Housing To Block$2.40

the rest is 75k miles old

the motor had the oil pump out and arrived resting on its front crank pulley -.-

anyway if i intend to make a good motor out of this (turbo with whatever boost is "safe" seeing as its in a e30 (i.e. high power = broken stuff :P))

so far i figure

front and rear seals
    rear bearing
    water pump and thermostat
    oil pump chain + new sprocket? and new relief valve stuff
    front timing chain (a few of the things the sprockets go around has a bit of rust like stuff on it so i figure i need it changed)
    new tensioner parts? (im a m20 guy so this chain tech is new to me, its all disassembled and the springs look dirty as fuck, i figure theres some gaskets too that need to be replaced)
    hydraulic lifters (cant decide if i should go new or get them from a bmw wrecker, how do you see if lifters are good)
    second intake cam (does anyone have a link to the recommendation for this setup)
    inlet+exhaust gaskets

considering its going turbo i figure i wont need some of the pcv emissions hoses and all that as i dont really want to boost the crankcase.

Anyway if someone could compile a list for me that would be great, i know its kind of slack but i have NFI about m50s and im just a bit shitty (got a suprise shipping hike so ive paid about 1.2k aud for a half complete m50 that needs some work).

Good thing is that it has some 4 pintle injectors (dunno poundage), 944 booster in the deal and bremi coils.

and if anyone is interested i plan to run MS III ( tcd log manifold and some smallish turbo cause ill only run 15 psi max (i hear 9 is safe anyway for m50's :()
    Last edited by Gruelius; 09-18-2010, 11:19 AM.
    RIP 84 323i coupe 5spd w/ 14psi
    89' 318i

Confused a bit by your post, you after part numbers for the stuff on your list?

Also mate check out http://www.realoem.com it will help you loads.

Comment

sorry lol

just want to know what i should replace and what i definitely need to replace. for instance i dont know if the tensioner springs are worth replacing

in another post someone said to use old oil pump but get new sprocket+chain

just little things like that, what i should do for this motor if im not rebuilding it fully.

if it was a m20 id know exactly what id need to order to do a refresh without rebuilding, but for this motor i have no clue!
      Last edited by Gruelius; 09-18-2010, 12:35 PM.
      RIP 84 323i coupe 5spd w/ 14psi
      89' 318i

Comment

Working...
      X