Vibration 1000-1900 rpm; car moves when clutch disengaged

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vibration 1000-1900 rpm; car moves when clutch disengaged

Recently I have been trying to find out why my car is shaking in the cabin between 1000-1800. After reading and searching... I am starting to bet that my clutch/Pressure Plate is done for. To find out for sure, I jacked the car up on the front and held the revs at around 1500 rpm. I got under the car and noticed that my bell housing is shaking a bit. It doesnt seem like too violent of a shake, but maybe it is more than it should.

When I put the car down, I was reversing it into the garage and made a wierd dicovery. With the shifter in gear (reverse or 1st), and the clutch pushed all the way to the ground, I noticed that the car would move in accordance to what gear I was in when I revved to 3500-4300 rpm. It doesnt move drastically, just slightly.

This tells me that the clutch is slightly engaging the flywheel even when it is supposed to be disengaged. The question is why? and could that also be causing my vibration in the cabin? Does my pressure plate/ clutch need replacement?

What transmission and flywheel/PP are you using?
    What TO bearing are you using?
    What clutch slave are you using?
    Are you sure the clutch hydraulics are bled properly?
    Did you torque the PP to spec?
    What are you wearing?
    Wait disregard the last one.

'89 Alpine S52 with goodies

Comment

Subscribed for the last question above.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

What transmission and flywheel/PP are you using? Getrag 260 (e30); M20 lightened flywheel; e30 M3 clutch

What TO bearing are you using? I dont know, stock I guess.

What clutch slave are you using? Stock I would think.

Are you sure the clutch hydraulics are bled properly? Havent bled them - thats my next step - But I dont think the vibration will go away after I bleed them. When I was revving with the shifter in gear, the car was moving forward very slightly and I could even smell BBQ'd clutch.

Did you torque the PP to spec? I got the tranny connected to the s50 in the swap - so lets hope so.

What are you wearing? Call me - :p

Wait disregard the last one. - oh ok; sorry.

Comment

So the engine and tranny were never split when it was removed from the last car? Bleed the clutch I guess...?

Comment

Do you think bleeding the clutch will rid of any vibrations?

Comment

Ok, just bled the master cyl.... no changes in the vibration.

If the car is in gear, I can still feel it move if I rev it to 4000rpm - even when the clutch pedal is pushed to the floor. I think my pressure plate is out and is also part of the cause of the vibration.

Comment

Sub'd for pics of PP. Did you just do the master and not the slave? I don't even know if air in the hydraulics would cause vibrations.

Comment

That sounds exactly like what happened to me. My car would always roll forward a little, and weird vibrations all accompanied with the smell of burning clutch. I waited way too long to pull the transmission, and it eventually started to sound like I was always driving through a pile of metal leaves.

When the pressure plate comes completely apart, you'll hear a loud knocking sound with the clutch pedal depressed.

http://r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=175900

Hope you have better luck than I do. Clutch number three is going in this weekend.

Comment

Read the thread... so why do you think you had a vibration though? The pressure plate isnt always spinning when the clutch is disengaged right?

Comment

Originally posted by graphikg View Post
                      Read the thread... so why do you think you had a vibration though? The pressure plate isnt always spinning when the clutch is disengaged right?
                      Yes the pressure plate is always spinning, Its bolted to the flywheel.

Comment

Since you drove it up here, then the car died. And now its running and having this weird vibration issue. It really doesnt sound like a flywheel.

Basic questions, same harmonic balancer? Did you tighten down the front bolt? A lot
                        ?

Are you sure its a vibration and not a misfire?
                        Past Car : E30 S50 6 Speed 5 Lug 3.73
                        Current : Z3 S50 OBD2 (Smog Legal) 6 Speed BBS RN Dual Ear Diff
                        Julian 848-248-8029

Comment

The clutch disc is not "lifted" from the flywheel when you push the clutch in. Its just not locked down. When you push the clutch in, the disc and the flywheel are still touching slightly.

I would start with the shit you were fucking with...

But if you really want to pull the tranny off its not a giant project. Its just a pain. A lot of pressure plates back off the flywheel when the bolts are not torqued properly. But usually that makes a insane sound, and the car doesn't move.
                          Julian 848-248-8029

Comment

The engine seems to idle pretty well now, and I cant say that I have completely ruled out a misfire.

I know I torqued down the crank bolt - A LOT.

I am trying to round up a few more opinions on what is wrong with the car, but the idle does seem solid - it just seems like that vibration b/w 1000-1900 rpm is the problem.

OH! and if I drive the car - I hear this wrenching grinding sound around 3000-3500 rpm. It sounds like metal being grounded up. I was thinking that it had something to do with the cams or installing something incorrectly in the head. But the more I think about it, I start to bet it is the clutch system. It only happens during load, not when I rev it in nuetral standing still. I guess the only better way to tell is to stick my head under the car and try to pinpoint the sound while someone goes up to 3500rpm in first. --Criticism of course-- But the trouble is the grinding sound only happens for about a second, then goes away.

Comment

Check your 6 bolts on your harmonic balancer.

Ok, unplug your vanos. See if it helps with the sound and or vibration..

Have you put new plugs in it yet?

Do a compression check. You pulled the head off for the reason of bad compression. See what the compression is again.

You need to figure out whether its a vibration or a misfire.
                              Julian 848-248-8029

Comment

Working...
                              X